Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • Nayan Hajratwala
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 9 1:05 PM
      On Aug 9, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...> wrote:

      > My guidance (to myself and my teams) for this sort of thing is...
      > 1) Pick a suffix that makes sense to you and everyone else on the team
      > 2) Don't use an abbreviation
      > 3) Don't make it a "standard" or "requirement"

      +1 -- As usual, Charlie is able to clearly say what I'm thinking :-)
    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23, 2012
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com