Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 9, 2012
      Ron,

      I did ping Tim a while back on an early draft... he elected not to comment.

      Tim's position on Encoding is very clear... we disagree.

      Tim's position on including the pattern in a class name is equally clear... we agree.

      I think either of those are a safe bet. :-)

      _Marvin

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > Marvin,
      >
      > On Aug 9, 2012, at 3:22 PM, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Sounds like you and Tim are not in alignment on the impact to the reader of the code.
      >

      > Have you received Tim's views on this article? If not, it may not be appropriate to speak as though he agrees with you. And, I would like to get a little money down first, on whether he will.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. -- Jessica Rabbit
    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23, 2012
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com