Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 9, 2012
      This is important... was it perceived that the lack of clarity came from the two-character suffix or the inclusion of pattern name in the class?

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Nayan Hajratwala <nayan@...> wrote:

      > On Aug 9, 2012, at 3:12 PM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Nayan,
      > >
      > > While exporing this issue with the team, did you determine if they disagreed with Tim Ottinger's perspective or just the application of the two character suffix?
      >
      > I didn't ask them anything about Tim. They felt it led to a lack of clarity.

    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23, 2012
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com