Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 9, 2012
      Or "Body Odor" depending on your context. :-)

      One of the points made in the post was a pragmatic limit to the amount of Pattern Encoding that makes sense:

      "Experience with this approach has revealed that 15 encodable patterns is probably too few for a palette with effective cohesionÂ… and more than 30 is probably too many as they become a "burden" (using Tim's word) for instantaneous recall."

      http://wp.me/P1FU3L-Ag

      _Marvin

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Dave Rooney <daverooneyca@...> wrote:

      > I though 'BO' meant Body Odour.
      >
      > Dave...
      >
      > On 12-08-09 3:07 PM, MarvinToll.com wrote:
      > >
      > > George,
      > >
      > > The post quotes Tim Ottinger as follows...:
      > >
      > > "Remember that the people who read your code will be programmers. So
      > > go ahead and use computer science terms, algorithm names, pattern
      > > names, math terms and so forth. ... The name AccountVisitor means a
      > > great deal to a programmer who is familiar with the Visitor pattern."
      > > (p. 27 - Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship)
      > >
      > > ... and makes the case for a two character suffix (MyBO) being *less*
      > > intrusive then something like:
      > >
      > > MyBusinessObject
      > >
      > > http://wp.me/P1FU3L-Ag
      > >
      > > _Marvin
      > >
      > > --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      > > <mailto:extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>, George Dinwiddie
      > > <lists@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > That's marvelous! I was going to suggest Tim Ottinger's paper,
      > > > Ottinger's Rules for Variable and Class Naming
      > > > (http://objectmentor.com/resources/articles/Naming.pdf). I like your
      > > > "thoughtful & deliberate" suggestion even better.
      > > >
      > > > - George

    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23, 2012
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com