Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 9, 2012
      Nayan,

      While exporing this issue with the team, did you determine if they disagreed with Tim Ottinger's perspective or just the application of the two character suffix?

      "Remember that the people who read your code will be programmers. So go ahead and use computer science terms, algorithm names, pattern names, math terms and so forth. ... The name AccountVisitor means a great deal to a programmer who is familiar with the Visitor pattern." (p. 27 - Clean Code: A Handbook of Agile Software Craftsmanship)

      _Marvin

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Nayan Hajratwala <nayan@...> wrote:

      > I'm currently at a client where an approach just like this had been mandated before my arrival.
      >
      > In discussions with the developers on the team, there was universal dislike for the suffixes as they felt that it made the code much more difficult to read.
    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23 11:25 AM
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com