Re: [XP] Pattern Encoded Suffix

  • RonJeffries
    Message 1 of 191 , Aug 9, 2012
      Marvin,

      On Aug 9, 2012, at 2:56 PM, "MarvinToll.com" <MarvinToll@...> wrote:

      > It may be useful to separate a discussion of Suffixes from a discussion of Prefixes.

      PronounI VerbCan VerbImagine, PronounIt VerbMight VerbBe. OnPreposition theArticle otherAdjective handNoun, neitherPronoun areVerb actuallyAdverb communicatingVerb somethingPronoun onePronoun needsVerb (to know)VerbPhrase everyAdjective timeNoun onePronoun looksVerb atPreposition theArticle wordNoun.

      If you see what I'm sayin.

      The programmer does not need to know every time he looks at a class name what pattern it comes from. He needs to know that infrequently. Therefore the pattern should not generally be part of the name.

      If not now, when? -- Rabbi Hillel

    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 191 of 191 , Sep 23, 2012
        Jeff,

        Thanks for your feedback.

        The notion that a a Java author precisely considers whether they are using one of the two exception mechanisms to indicate a true unanticipated exceptional break-down, or as an indication of alternate path processing (e.g. instead of return codes), is the thought-path I'm suggesting for consideration.

        As you mentioned (twice), there are contexts where the author could be wrong... and the code catching can respond as required.

        Said another way, I'm suggesting that authors throwing exceptions clarify the intended usage... even though a client's corner-case might warrant a different course than the author anticipated.

        _Marvin
        PatternEnabled.com