Little bit OT: java unit test tools for java card virtual machine

  • M. Manca
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
      Hi all,
      I am searching to understand if JUnit or an other unit test framework
      for Java could be used to test Java Card Applications so the difference
      is that a subset of Java is implemented in Java Card and the virtual
      machine is different (reduced) and is called Java Card Virtual Machine
      (JCVM) instead of JVM. Any help will be very appreciated.
      Regards,
      Massimo

    • John Roth
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 10, 2012
        The basic xUnit framework is very simple; any project that's considering
        building its own language based on a virtual machine ought to find
        implementing something similar to be a very minor part of the effort.
        Whether or not the existing JUnit would work with a subset of Java
        depends on the subset.

        While IANAL, I presume you are aware that the term Java, as applied to a
        programming language, is a registered trademark of Oracle. The previous
        trademark holder, Sun, was very choosy about allowing anyone to use that
        trademark without clearing it with them. I believe Sun would not allow
        it unless the product could pass the _entire_ validation suite. I doubt
        if Oracle is any less stringent.

        John Roth

        On 7/10/12 4:31 PM, M. Manca wrote:

        > Hi all,
        > I am searching to understand if JUnit or an other unit test framework
        > for Java could be used to test Java Card Applications so the difference
        > is that a subset of Java is implemented in Java Card and the virtual
        > machine is different (reduced) and is called Java Card Virtual Machine
        > (JCVM) instead of JVM. Any help will be very appreciated.
        > Regards,
        > Massimo

      • JeffGrigg
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 12, 2012
          See http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2348781/java-card-unit-testing

          Yes, they say that JUnit works just fine. (And if not, it's pretty easy to write another one.)