Re: [XP] Story sizes and productivity gains

  • Paul Epps
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 21, 2012
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

      > (BTW, I really enjoy the pushback I get from management on that - that
      > development should be responsible for precise enough estimations to support
      > all sorts of management metrics whereas the business does not have to be
      > responsible for determining the actual value of being delivered what they
      > ask for).

      Good observation!

      Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

      pe
    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 22, 2012
        > Downey described the purpose with this user story: AS A Scrum Product Owner who
        > is trying to evaluate the efficacy of the product directions I have chosen, I
        > NEED a reliable way to measure the increased value
        > contribution of the Team sprint-over-sprint SO THAT I can compare the Team's
        > rate of value contribution increase to the changes in revenue we are generating
        > and adjust our direction if the value isn't being realized.

        What is the relation between the two?

        If the value is low, would you improve it by increasing or decreasing the rate of production?

        It sounds to me like checking the speedometer to determine the direction of travel.

        Tim Ottinger
        http://IndustrialLogic.com/
      • JeffGrigg
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 23, 2012
          --- George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
          > [W]e have /no/ way to measure this concept "productivity" in
          > knowledge work.

          Knowledge Gained, divided by Time.

          ;->
        • JeffGrigg
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 23, 2012
            --- "Paul Epps" <paul@...> wrote:
            > ... Downey defines a hyperproductive team as a team that
            > achieves a 500% increase over its initial velocity, as
            > measured in story points.

            Oh; so all I have to do to be hyper-productive is start out really crappy. Hey; I think I can do that! >;->
          • Steve Freeman
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 24, 2012
              On 23 Jun 2012, at 09:29, JeffGrigg wrote:
              > --- "Paul Epps" <paul@...> wrote:
              >> ... Downey defines a hyperproductive team as a team that
              >> achieves a 500% increase over its initial velocity, as
              >> measured in story points.
              >
              > Oh; so all I have to do to be hyper-productive is start out really crappy. Hey; I think I can do that! >;->

              funny you should say that.... have you seen the baseline Sutherland's team started from?

              S.