Re: [XP] Story sizes and productivity gains

  • M. Manca
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 21, 2012
      Il 21/06/2012 21:17, RonJeffries ha scritto:
      Hi Ron and George,

      the point is always the same, some questions seem done by a manager that
      needs to know when things will be done (not agile manager) and others by
      a perfect XP team leader.
      I think that both may be superfluous in a perfect XP contest and both
      may be necessary in a not XP contest. The problem is what Scott Downey
      said during the presentation.

      > Hi George,
      >
      > On Jun 21, 2012, at 3:03 PM, George Dinwiddie wrote:
      >
      > > My initial point is that the rest of the sentence
      > > is superfluous. Even if we think we have a good reason (or are just
      > > curious), we have /no/ way to measure this concept "productivity" in
      > > knowledge work.
      >
      > Yes, I do fully agree, of course. In addition, I've never seen a
      > proposed measure that I could not immediately game to my advantage.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > I try to Zen through it and keep my voice very mellow and low.
      > Inside I am screaming and have a machine gun.
      > Yin and Yang I figure.
      > -- Tom Jeffries

    • Paul Epps
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 21, 2012
        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

        > (BTW, I really enjoy the pushback I get from management on that - that
        > development should be responsible for precise enough estimations to support
        > all sorts of management metrics whereas the business does not have to be
        > responsible for determining the actual value of being delivered what they
        > ask for).

        Good observation!

        Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

        pe
      • Tim Ottinger
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 22, 2012
          > Downey described the purpose with this user story: AS A Scrum Product Owner who
          > is trying to evaluate the efficacy of the product directions I have chosen, I
          > NEED a reliable way to measure the increased value
          > contribution of the Team sprint-over-sprint SO THAT I can compare the Team's
          > rate of value contribution increase to the changes in revenue we are generating
          > and adjust our direction if the value isn't being realized.

          What is the relation between the two?

          If the value is low, would you improve it by increasing or decreasing the rate of production?

          It sounds to me like checking the speedometer to determine the direction of travel.

          Tim Ottinger
          http://IndustrialLogic.com/
        • JeffGrigg
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 23, 2012
            --- George Dinwiddie <lists@...> wrote:
            > [W]e have /no/ way to measure this concept "productivity" in
            > knowledge work.

            Knowledge Gained, divided by Time.

            ;->
          • JeffGrigg
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 23, 2012
              --- "Paul Epps" <paul@...> wrote:
              > ... Downey defines a hyperproductive team as a team that
              > achieves a 500% increase over its initial velocity, as
              > measured in story points.

              Oh; so all I have to do to be hyper-productive is start out really crappy. Hey; I think I can do that! >;->
            • Steve Freeman
              Message 6 of 18 , Jun 24, 2012
                On 23 Jun 2012, at 09:29, JeffGrigg wrote:
                > --- "Paul Epps" <paul@...> wrote:
                >> ... Downey defines a hyperproductive team as a team that
                >> achieves a 500% increase over its initial velocity, as
                >> measured in story points.
                >
                > Oh; so all I have to do to be hyper-productive is start out really crappy. Hey; I think I can do that! >;->

                funny you should say that.... have you seen the baseline Sutherland's team started from?

                S.