Re: [XP] How to do this?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 234 , May 6, 2012
      Since it sounds like a complete rewrite in c# I recommend checking out growing object oriented software guided by tests. Written by Steve freeman and nat pryce. The talk about beginning a system with a walking skeleton. This is a minimum end to end slice of the system. In you case one service method all the way down to the class that interacts with the database. Check it out www.mockobjects.com

      Thanks
      Steven Solomon

      On May 6, 2012, at 5:24 AM, "Theresa Forster" <theresajayne@...> wrote:

      > I have a conundrum, I have a VB.NET WCF service I need to recode and clean
      > up into C#,
      >
      > I want to drive it out using Agile using just the name of the service and
      > the existing database at the top and bottom allowing XP and Agile to drive
      > out the logic in the middle.
      >
      > The old system is using CSLA which is mind bogglingly slow. So I need to use
      > something maybe NHibernate or something. I don't know as I haven't driven it
      > out yet.
      >
      > My question is where should I start? What should I do as a test first? The
      > WCF declaration is fixed for the moment, but we will be adding restful to
      > the mix going forward. So should I build an adapter pattern behind the WCF
      > or maybe a Controller Pattern.
      >
      > Being new to agile I am not sure which pattern fits here nor where to go
      > forward, so some suggestions would be really helpful.
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Theresa

    • MarvinToll.com
      Message 234 of 234 , May 19, 2012
        I remember anxiously anticipating some capability in COBOL 85 when working for EDS on the General Motors account... however, that is as memorable at the moment as yesterday's breakfast.

        More to the point, I am anxiously awaiting select functional programming capabilities being introduced in Java and am happy to observe Oracle moving the platform forward... at least through 2021.

        As a side note, I've been appreciative of Oracle's handling of the challenging task so far... and am (at the moment) optimistic that both multi-core and functional capabilities being supported are sufficient for potentially all of my current customer's anticipated needs.

        _Marvin
        http://PatternEnabled.com