Re: [XP] Announcements

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2 3:54 PM
      Honestly, the thing that annoys me about the webinar announcement is that
      it is cross posted to several Agile related groups. I am fine with
      occasional announcements, but I would lobby that we get rid of folks who
      regularly cross post these announcements.

      I would ask that if the XP list seemed like the best place for it you post
      it here, but if there is another better place for it you post it there, but
      not both. And, if there is no particular best place use the announcements
      list for general announcements.

      On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Charlie,
      >

      > On May 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Charlie Poole wrote:
      >
      > > Ron, is there a policy?
      >
      > Not an official one. Informally, I would cut regular contributors such as
      > you quite a bit of slack. I think Avi's webinars are probably good (perhaps
      > someone should go to it and report back) and they assure me that they don't
      > tout their product much if at all. But Avi makes no other contributions.
      > Still, it might be useful.
      >
      > That's why I asked ...
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
      > if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
      > -- Kelly Easterley

    • Charlie Poole
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2 8:35 PM
        Hi Ron,

        Fascinating! I went to the group online and saw that there was an entire
        discussion thread about this webinar, which I either never received or
        managed to avoid reading. What most likely happens is that I see 'webinar'
        in the subject line and delete without ever having to involve much of my
        brain.

        Reading through that announcement and the posts it generated, I note

        1) It's from a commercial vendor
        2) It's from someone who doesn't contribute here (except to announce
        webinars) and probably doesn't even read the list (or he'd probably have
        said something by now)
        3) It's not targeted to the XP community particularly and is actually
        posted to many lists besides this one

        All that would lead me to think that the post belongs on some general
        announcement list. No advertiser is likely to limit themselves to an
        announcement list voluntarily, however.

        Charlie