Re: [XP] Announcements

  • RonJeffries
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2012
      Hi Charlie,

      On May 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Charlie Poole wrote:

      > Ron, is there a policy?

      Not an official one. Informally, I would cut regular contributors such as you quite a bit of slack. I think Avi's webinars are probably good (perhaps someone should go to it and report back) and they assure me that they don't tout their product much if at all. But Avi makes no other contributions. Still, it might be useful.

      That's why I asked ...

      If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
      if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
      -- Kelly Easterley

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2012
        Honestly, the thing that annoys me about the webinar announcement is that
        it is cross posted to several Agile related groups. I am fine with
        occasional announcements, but I would lobby that we get rid of folks who
        regularly cross post these announcements.

        I would ask that if the XP list seemed like the best place for it you post
        it here, but if there is another better place for it you post it there, but
        not both. And, if there is no particular best place use the announcements
        list for general announcements.

        On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hi Charlie,
        >

        > On May 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Charlie Poole wrote:
        >
        > > Ron, is there a policy?
        >
        > Not an official one. Informally, I would cut regular contributors such as
        > you quite a bit of slack. I think Avi's webinars are probably good (perhaps
        > someone should go to it and report back) and they assure me that they don't
        > tout their product much if at all. But Avi makes no other contributions.
        > Still, it might be useful.
        >
        > That's why I asked ...
        >
        > Ron Jeffries
        > www.XProgramming.com
        > If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
        > if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
        > -- Kelly Easterley

      • Charlie Poole
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2012
          Hi Ron,

          Fascinating! I went to the group online and saw that there was an entire
          discussion thread about this webinar, which I either never received or
          managed to avoid reading. What most likely happens is that I see 'webinar'
          in the subject line and delete without ever having to involve much of my
          brain.

          Reading through that announcement and the posts it generated, I note

          1) It's from a commercial vendor
          2) It's from someone who doesn't contribute here (except to announce
          webinars) and probably doesn't even read the list (or he'd probably have
          said something by now)
          3) It's not targeted to the XP community particularly and is actually
          posted to many lists besides this one

          All that would lead me to think that the post belongs on some general
          announcement list. No advertiser is likely to limit themselves to an
          announcement list voluntarily, however.

          Charlie