Re: [XP] Announcements

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2012
      Some lists add it to the bit at the bottom. I'm neither for nor against
      this approach, just suggesting it as an option.

      On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Steven Smith <ssmith.lists@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Perhaps the existence of the announcements list and the policy on this list
      > of announcements (that is, not to send them here, but rather there) could
      > be posted on a semi-regular basis so subscribers of this list know where to
      > look for and post about such things?
      >
      > Steve
      >
      > --
      > Steve Smith
      > http://Ardalis.com/
      > http://twitter.com/ardalis

    • Charlie Poole
      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2012
        Hi Steve,

        You don't say why you are posting this suggestion but I did recently post
        an announcement about XP2012, so I'll ask (1) what announcement list and
        (2) what policy?

        I've been posting announcements here for years and nobody has complained -
        at least to me. Of course, many people could be grumbling to themselves, or
        even to one another, without my being aware of it.

        To my memory, the last time we discussed this topic here, everyone was
        happy with a low volume of relevant announcements clearly tagged as such.
        We also said that announcements from members of our community who want to
        reach other members of our community were acceptable, while one-shot posts
        made by people who join up for the purpose were not. My recollection could
        be incomplete or even dead wrong, of course.

        Ron, is there a policy?

        Charlie

        On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Steven Smith <ssmith.lists@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Perhaps the existence of the announcements list and the policy on this list
        > of announcements (that is, not to send them here, but rather there) could
        > be posted on a semi-regular basis so subscribers of this list know where to
        > look for and post about such things?
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > --
        > Steve Smith
        > http://Ardalis.com/
        > http://twitter.com/ardalis

      • RonJeffries
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2012
          Hi Charlie,

          On May 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Charlie Poole wrote:

          > Ron, is there a policy?

          Not an official one. Informally, I would cut regular contributors such as you quite a bit of slack. I think Avi's webinars are probably good (perhaps someone should go to it and report back) and they assure me that they don't tout their product much if at all. But Avi makes no other contributions. Still, it might be useful.

          That's why I asked ...

          If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
          if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
          -- Kelly Easterley

        • Adam Sroka
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2012
            Honestly, the thing that annoys me about the webinar announcement is that
            it is cross posted to several Agile related groups. I am fine with
            occasional announcements, but I would lobby that we get rid of folks who
            regularly cross post these announcements.

            I would ask that if the XP list seemed like the best place for it you post
            it here, but if there is another better place for it you post it there, but
            not both. And, if there is no particular best place use the announcements
            list for general announcements.

            On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Charlie,
            >

            > On May 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Charlie Poole wrote:
            >
            > > Ron, is there a policy?
            >
            > Not an official one. Informally, I would cut regular contributors such as
            > you quite a bit of slack. I think Avi's webinars are probably good (perhaps
            > someone should go to it and report back) and they assure me that they don't
            > tout their product much if at all. But Avi makes no other contributions.
            > Still, it might be useful.
            >
            > That's why I asked ...
            >
            > Ron Jeffries
            > www.XProgramming.com
            > If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
            > if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
            > -- Kelly Easterley

          • Charlie Poole
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2012
              Hi Ron,

              Fascinating! I went to the group online and saw that there was an entire
              discussion thread about this webinar, which I either never received or
              managed to avoid reading. What most likely happens is that I see 'webinar'
              in the subject line and delete without ever having to involve much of my
              brain.

              Reading through that announcement and the posts it generated, I note

              1) It's from a commercial vendor
              2) It's from someone who doesn't contribute here (except to announce
              webinars) and probably doesn't even read the list (or he'd probably have
              said something by now)
              3) It's not targeted to the XP community particularly and is actually
              posted to many lists besides this one

              All that would lead me to think that the post belongs on some general
              announcement list. No advertiser is likely to limit themselves to an
              announcement list voluntarily, however.

              Charlie