Announcements

  • Steven Smith
    Message 1 of 6 , May 2, 2012
      Perhaps the existence of the announcements list and the policy on this list
      of announcements (that is, not to send them here, but rather there) could
      be posted on a semi-regular basis so subscribers of this list know where to
      look for and post about such things?

      Steve

      --
      Steve Smith
      http://Ardalis.com/

      Message 2 of 6 , May 2, 2012
        Some lists add it to the bit at the bottom. I'm neither for nor against
        this approach, just suggesting it as an option.

        On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Steven Smith <ssmith.lists@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Perhaps the existence of the announcements list and the policy on this list
        > of announcements (that is, not to send them here, but rather there) could
        > be posted on a semi-regular basis so subscribers of this list know where to
        > look for and post about such things?
        >
        > Steve
        >
        > --
        > Steve Smith
        > http://Ardalis.com/
        > http://twitter.com/ardalis

      • Charlie Poole
        Message 3 of 6 , May 2, 2012
          Hi Steve,

          You don't say why you are posting this suggestion but I did recently post
          an announcement about XP2012, so I'll ask (1) what announcement list and
          (2) what policy?

          I've been posting announcements here for years and nobody has complained -
          at least to me. Of course, many people could be grumbling to themselves, or
          even to one another, without my being aware of it.

          To my memory, the last time we discussed this topic here, everyone was
          happy with a low volume of relevant announcements clearly tagged as such.
          We also said that announcements from members of our community who want to
          reach other members of our community were acceptable, while one-shot posts
          made by people who join up for the purpose were not. My recollection could
          be incomplete or even dead wrong, of course.

          Ron, is there a policy?

          Charlie

          On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:23 PM, Steven Smith <ssmith.lists@...>wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Perhaps the existence of the announcements list and the policy on this list
          > of announcements (that is, not to send them here, but rather there) could
          > be posted on a semi-regular basis so subscribers of this list know where to
          > look for and post about such things?
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > --
          > Steve Smith
          > http://Ardalis.com/
          > http://twitter.com/ardalis

        • RonJeffries
          Message 4 of 6 , May 2, 2012
            Hi Charlie,

            On May 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Charlie Poole wrote:

            > Ron, is there a policy?

            Not an official one. Informally, I would cut regular contributors such as you quite a bit of slack. I think Avi's webinars are probably good (perhaps someone should go to it and report back) and they assure me that they don't tout their product much if at all. But Avi makes no other contributions. Still, it might be useful.

            That's why I asked ...

            If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
            if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
            -- Kelly Easterley

          • Adam Sroka
            Message 5 of 6 , May 2, 2012
              Honestly, the thing that annoys me about the webinar announcement is that
              it is cross posted to several Agile related groups. I am fine with
              occasional announcements, but I would lobby that we get rid of folks who
              regularly cross post these announcements.

              I would ask that if the XP list seemed like the best place for it you post
              it here, but if there is another better place for it you post it there, but
              not both. And, if there is no particular best place use the announcements
              list for general announcements.

              On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 3:45 PM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > Hi Charlie,
              >

              > On May 2, 2012, at 6:36 PM, Charlie Poole wrote:
              >
              > > Ron, is there a policy?
              >
              > Not an official one. Informally, I would cut regular contributors such as
              > you quite a bit of slack. I think Avi's webinars are probably good (perhaps
              > someone should go to it and report back) and they assure me that they don't
              > tout their product much if at all. But Avi makes no other contributions.
              > Still, it might be useful.
              >
              > That's why I asked ...
              >
              > Ron Jeffries
              > www.XProgramming.com
              > If another does not intend offense, it is wrong for me to seek it;
              > if another does indeed intend offense, it is foolish for me to permit it.
              > -- Kelly Easterley

            • Charlie Poole
              Message 6 of 6 , May 2, 2012
                Hi Ron,

                Fascinating! I went to the group online and saw that there was an entire
                discussion thread about this webinar, which I either never received or
                managed to avoid reading. What most likely happens is that I see 'webinar'
                in the subject line and delete without ever having to involve much of my
                brain.

                Reading through that announcement and the posts it generated, I note

                1) It's from a commercial vendor
                2) It's from someone who doesn't contribute here (except to announce
                webinars) and probably doesn't even read the list (or he'd probably have
                said something by now)
                3) It's not targeted to the XP community particularly and is actually
                posted to many lists besides this one

                All that would lead me to think that the post belongs on some general
                announcement list. No advertiser is likely to limit themselves to an
                announcement list voluntarily, however.

                Charlie