Re: [XP] New Member with a question

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11 8:43 AM
      On Wed, Apr 11, 2012 at 2:55 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Hi Theresa,
      >

      > On Apr 11, 2012, at 4:30 AM, Theresa Forster wrote:
      >
      > > My first thought was to create a repo layer with entities mapped to the
      > > "tables" in the dataset. And then drive out the functionality required,
      >
      > That's pretty much what I'd do.

      I sense miscommunication here.

      It appears that Theresa is saying is to start by implementing objects that
      map to and from all the existing data.

      What I would both do is to not start from the existing data, but rather to
      end there. I would start from the business functionality required for the
      current user story, and implement it top-down from what the GUI (or web
      service) needs to the objects that most appropriately serve the user story
      and model the business domain. *Only* at the bottom of that chain would I
      worry about how those object retrieve and store data in the fixed database.
      I would think that Ron and others would basically agree.

      Most of the time, how to mediate the data objects that the business objects
      need with a fixed schema is fairly easy. When it is not, I would rather
      keep all that mess in the data objects than let that mess screw up all my
      code.

      And I would only worry about the current user story. Then next user story
      would proceed the same way, but would always be looking for ways to
      refactor the code for that story and the code for previous stories to
      maximize reuse and better express what we have since learned about the
      business domain.

      Steven Gordon