RE: [XP] Value Stream and Cycle Time

  • Amir Kolsky
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2012
      I would suggest they mean exactly what they mean in the Lean context.

      Value stream - the series of steps, or process, that we engage in to deliver
      value (either by adding value or reducing the risk of defects - waste).

      Cycle time - the elapsed time from when an item is placed in a processing
      queue until it's done. In the value stream context - from when it enters the
      value stream until it leaves it.

      The value stream can be defined as starting and ending in different points
      hence spanning different part of the organization and different processes.

      So, for example - you can start measuring cycle time from when an idea is -

      1. Thought of

      2. Put in a requirements doc

      3. Put in the backlog

      4. Put in the Iteration backlog

      And you can stop the measurement when

      1. It's deployed

      2. It's delivered to testing

      3. It's code-complete

      4. It's system testing done

      5. It's deployed with no bugs for 6 months

      Amir