Value Stream and Cycle Time

  • Chris Wheeler
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 10, 2012
      Hi everyone,

      I haven't read this group in ages, haven't posted in an even longer time.
      One thing I've noticed is a prevalence in usage of the terms, "Value
      Stream" and "Cycle Time". I am intimately familiar with these two terms as
      they apply to Lean (not Lean Software Development, but Lean, as in Lean
      Office, Lean Manufacturing, etc). It seems to me, at least the way I'm
      reading some of the posts, that Agile is applying a bit of a different spin
      to these terms.

      Would anyone mind telling me what Value Stream and Cycle Time mean in the
      context of Agile?

      Much appreciated,
      Chris.

    • Nayan Hajratwala
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 10, 2012
        In Apr 10, 2012, at 12:22 PM, Chris Wheeler wrote:

        > Would anyone mind telling me what Value Stream and Cycle Time mean in the
        > context of Agile?

        I'll take a shot:

        Value Stream - the lifecycle of a "feature" from inception through delivery
        Cycle Time - the time a feature takes to move between any two given points in the value stream

        > Much appreciated,
        > Chris.

        ---
        Nayan Hajratwala - 734.658.6032 - http://agileshrugged.com - @nhajratw
      • Amir Kolsky
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 10, 2012
          I would suggest they mean exactly what they mean in the Lean context.

          Value stream - the series of steps, or process, that we engage in to deliver
          value (either by adding value or reducing the risk of defects - waste).

          Cycle time - the elapsed time from when an item is placed in a processing
          queue until it's done. In the value stream context - from when it enters the
          value stream until it leaves it.

          The value stream can be defined as starting and ending in different points
          hence spanning different part of the organization and different processes.

          So, for example - you can start measuring cycle time from when an idea is -

          1. Thought of

          2. Put in a requirements doc

          3. Put in the backlog

          4. Put in the Iteration backlog

          And you can stop the measurement when

          1. It's deployed

          2. It's delivered to testing

          3. It's code-complete

          4. It's system testing done

          5. It's deployed with no bugs for 6 months

          Amir