Re: [XP] Re: BAUF

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 71 , Apr 9, 2012
      Dave,

      On 4/9/12 8:56 AM, Dave Rooney wrote:
      > On 12-04-09 8:18 AM, George Dinwiddie wrote:
      >> On 4/9/12 7:30 AM, RonJeffries wrote:
      >>> Paul,

      >>> I'd suggest, Paul, that you should discuss that concern directly with
      >>> the ones you know who do those things.
      >> +1. I'm very tired of people saying "Agile is dead" because marketers
      >> are jumping on the bandwagon.
      >>

      > Hi George,
      >
      > Who said "marketers"?
      >
      > Haven't you and Ron and others here dealt with developers, testers,
      > business analysts, managers, directors, CxO's, janitors who claim to be
      > "doing Agile" or "using Agile" because they have a daily meeting and not
      > much else? I know I have.
      >
      > As you're aware, I'm having a tough time reconciling the behaviour and
      > practices I'm seeing done in the name of Agile to what I learned from
      > XP. Agile as we knew it after the term was coined isn't really like
      > that now, in my experience. Some people get it, many more do not. The
      > term is being diluted to the point of being meaningless, and we're
      > seeing the same old attitudes, same old practices and same old problems
      > occurring, except now they're under the banner of "Agile".

      Yes. My approach (or, one of them) is to compare the behavior and
      practices you mention with the values and principles of the manifesto.
      Agile Software Development is more than a word.

      I was just reading
      http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/
      and was struck by how much it applies to software development. If we're
      not practicing /mindfully/ then we're just reinforcing bad habits.

      - George

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 71 of 71 , Apr 9, 2012