Re: [XP] Re: Software Agility: Seven Design Concerns

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 84 , Apr 5, 2012
      Hi Marvin,

      I disagree with you that there is a universal process that goes on in ones
      > head for arriving at effective design. I find what comes out of my head is
      > sometimes very different than what comes out of... say for example... Dr.
      > Gordon's head... and it seems incredulous that we could possibly go through
      > the same thought-process and arrive at such different understandings.

      My reaction was "I said that? I most really be losing it." However, I
      reread what I wrote and I'm happy to report to one and all that I did _not_
      make any statement about a "universal process." I did describe what goes on
      in my head, some of the time, and what other people have told me about
      their own thought processes. To my experience, "following a pattern" or
      "implementing a pattern" most often leads to bad code. Thinking about what
      the pattern folks call "forces" and how they apply to a particular
      situation and coming up with a way of resolving those forces has generally
      seemed to lead the teams I work with to create better code. Often that code
      can be viewed _after_the_fact_ as an instance of a pattern, but that's not
      the same as "implementing the pattern" at least as I understand the words.

      While this is not a universal observation, it's something I've tried with a
      pretty good range of teams with good results.

      Charlie

    • Lior Friedman
      Message 84 of 84 , Apr 9, 2012
        On Mon, Apr 9, 2012 at 3:47 PM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>wrote:

        > **
        > Can we usefully say things about degrees of testability?

        at the risk of opening a tangent thread, I would say not really.
        Given the right tools,know how and will, (almost) any code can be tested.

        I believe that the term "tesability" is many time used to describe the
        "ease of writing tests" or as a proxy to "properly designed" code. So I
        find it more useful to talk about what makes good code.

        Lior