Re: [XP] Velocity as a productivity metric

  • Wouter Lagerweij
    Message 1 of 83 , Apr 1, 2012
      Hi George,

      This is called Goodhart's law. I think it was tweeted around a bit during
      the CalmAlpha event a while back, maybe that's where you saw it.

      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goodhart's_law

      Wouter

      On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 2:32 AM, George Dinwiddie
      <lists@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > On 3/25/12 4:28 PM, RonJeffries wrote:
      > > Hi Adrian,
      > >
      > > On Mar 25, 2012, at 4:04 PM, Adrian Howard wrote:
      > >
      > >> Having recently spent a lunchtime listening to a surly rant from
      > >> somebody from Large Organisation whose boss is finagling a bunch of
      > >> low priority but fast to implement stories to the front of their
      > >> queue to drive cycle time down.... I wouldn't be so sure :-)
      > >

      > > Nice one. I'd bet that there is no externally-measured metric that
      > cannot be gamed.
      > > Even revenue.
      >
      > I heard a quote recently (a month or two ago) to the effect that any
      > measurement that becomes a goal necessarily becomes worthless as a
      > measurement.
      >
      > I wish I could find that quote, again. I'm pretty sure it didn't
      > originate with software development.
      >
      > - George

      Wouter Lagerweij | wouter@...
      http://www.lagerweij.com | @wouterla <http://twitter.com/#!/wouterla>

    • RonJeffries
      Message 83 of 83 , Apr 9, 2012
        Hi Adrian,

        On Apr 9, 2012, at 8:29 AM, Adrian Howard wrote:

        > However what I'm hearing from Amir (which may, of course, be in my head not his words) is that he's generally in a situation where he's *confident* that a decrease in cycle time is a "good thing". Likewise for increases in cycle time being a bad thing.
        >
        > I don't generally find myself in that place - I'm interested in figuring out one or more of:
        >
        > * How I can do this
        > * Why Amir can do it in his context, and I can't do it in mine
        > * How I'm misunderstanding what Amir is saying (or vice versa)
        >
        > Sound vaguely sane?

        Yes. Here's a random thought that I had about how a reduction in cycle time might not be good. Suppose when a feature comes in, we ship the current software and report the feature done. Cycle time drops quite low. Good, huh?

        Of course we'll have a lot of bug reports. But we handle them the same way: ship the current software and report the bug fixed.

        I'd like to hear from Amir on this one. :)

        If not now, when? -- Rabbi Hillel