Continuous Outegration

  • tony_t_tubbs
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 21 5:58 AM
      How does this work in practice? I get the impression this is suppose to be or suggested to be more or less an easy button that primes a virgin workstation to get it ready for development. What exactly does that mean?

      Assuming the toys in our local sandbox are Visual Studio, Eclipse w/ plugins, JBoss, JasperSoft, SVN/Tortoise, ant, ADAM/LDAP, MS SQL, C# code base and Java code base, what would/should Continuous Outegration do for us?

      Is it a script that will install and configure all the tools, fetch the code base(s), build and validate? Or is there multiple pieces - say a Ghost image of tools configured, script to fetch build and deploy, ???

      Also, is there something you can point me to, like the glossy marketing style or books from the pros or something that address this topic that I could pass on to the powers that be. I need more backing to make my case than just me thinking this is a good idea. I know I've seen this idea, but Google is not my friend at the moment.

      TIA,
    • RonJeffries
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 21 6:43 AM
        Hi Tony,

        On Mar 21, 2012, at 8:58 AM, tony_t_tubbs wrote:

        > How does this work in practice?

        I don't recall ever hearing of "Continuous Outegration" before, and it hurts my ears so much I hope I never hear it again. :)

        That said, the things you mentioned as possible meanings sounded like good practices to me.

        Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. -- Muhammad Ali

      • Buddha Buck
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 21 6:55 AM
          On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 9:43 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

          > I don't recall ever hearing of "Continuous Outegration" before, and it hurts my ears so much I hope I never hear it again. :)

          It appears to be an attempted coinage from 2004 or so. It has an
          entry on the c2 wiki last edited in 2005. I agree with your aesthetic
          assessment of the term.
        • tony_t_tubbs
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 21 7:39 AM
            Sorry to have brought up the bad verbiage. I just learned it myself, and was the best term to express the concept I'm asking about. I also saw something like Automated Configuration Management, but that included a lot more than just the developers workstations which is my focus at the moment.

            Even still, are people doing this, how is it managed in practice, and has this been written about and encouraged in the industry any where?

            I'm asking partly due to some infighting. Seems there are some who think a Ghost image is the answer, but that sounds like only an initial setup. I one wanted to scrap everything and start over, you'd not likely want to re Ghost your machine image. Anyway, just curious how the is managed in practice elsewhere, if at all.

            Is there a better term for this concept/practice?

            TIA
          • M. Manca
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21 10:36 AM
              Il 21/03/2012 15:39, tony_t_tubbs ha scritto:

              > Sorry to have brought up the bad verbiage. I just learned it myself,
              > and was the best term to express the concept I'm asking about. I also
              > saw something like Automated Configuration Management, but that
              > included a lot more than just the developers workstations which is my
              > focus at the moment.
              >
              > Even still, are people doing this, how is it managed in practice, and
              > has this been written about and encouraged in the industry any where?
              >
              > I'm asking partly due to some infighting. Seems there are some who
              > think a Ghost image is the answer, but that sounds like only an
              > initial setup. I one wanted to scrap everything and start over, you'd
              > not likely want to re Ghost your machine image. Anyway, just curious
              > how the is managed in practice elsewhere, if at all.
              >
              > Is there a better term for this concept/practice?
              >
              > TIA

              Sometimes I used it (not correctly) when I try to explain what means
              "continuous improvement" that is a kaizen practice used by teams doing
              kanban and scrumban. Traditional teams in the embedded market have a
              main practice to deliver the product that is not agile but waterfall
              (implementation, integration, system integration and testing, delivery,
              maintenance). So the problem is to say "hey guys, doing agile you
              perform similar things a little bit every day, a little bigger bit at
              every sprint/iteration and day by day, week by week your product
              continually improves because it realizes more requirements.