Re: [XP] BAUF

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 71 , Mar 20, 2012
      On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:24 AM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Curtis... was the maturity (over-time) of the team reflected in the code
      > (product) that was produced?
      >
      > Is this a topic the team talked openly about... that an effective (agile)
      > XP team demonstrates their maturity level in code?
      >
      > I don't recall that being a concept back in 2000. I tried to read
      everything I could find on XP, so I must have missed it.

      We weren't beginner programmers. We had very senior guys who wrote some
      very good code. We were a beginner XP team.

      I do believe our code got simpler and with TDD, more cohesive and less
      coupled, but we never talked about the "XPness" of our code as a marker of
      our progress.

    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 71 of 71 , Apr 9, 2012
        Dave,

        On 4/9/12 8:56 AM, Dave Rooney wrote:
        > On 12-04-09 8:18 AM, George Dinwiddie wrote:
        >> On 4/9/12 7:30 AM, RonJeffries wrote:
        >>> Paul,

        >>> I'd suggest, Paul, that you should discuss that concern directly with
        >>> the ones you know who do those things.
        >> +1. I'm very tired of people saying "Agile is dead" because marketers
        >> are jumping on the bandwagon.
        >>

        > Hi George,
        >
        > Who said "marketers"?
        >
        > Haven't you and Ron and others here dealt with developers, testers,
        > business analysts, managers, directors, CxO's, janitors who claim to be
        > "doing Agile" or "using Agile" because they have a daily meeting and not
        > much else? I know I have.
        >
        > As you're aware, I'm having a tough time reconciling the behaviour and
        > practices I'm seeing done in the name of Agile to what I learned from
        > XP. Agile as we knew it after the term was coined isn't really like
        > that now, in my experience. Some people get it, many more do not. The
        > term is being diluted to the point of being meaningless, and we're
        > seeing the same old attitudes, same old practices and same old problems
        > occurring, except now they're under the banner of "Agile".

        Yes. My approach (or, one of them) is to compare the behavior and
        practices you mention with the values and principles of the manifesto.
        Agile Software Development is more than a word.

        I was just reading
        http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/
        and was struck by how much it applies to software development. If we're
        not practicing /mindfully/ then we're just reinforcing bad habits.

        - George