Re: [XP] Introverts, Agile and Creativity

  • Niels Krijger
    Message 1 of 68 , Mar 19 12:01 PM
      I remember reading an article from I think an IEEE journal that showed the
      Extrovert-Introvert dimension was significant on the dependent variable
      "Manager-rated performance" for the *developer* role (if I recall
      correctly the introvert-extrovert dimension was the only significant one
      for the developer role).
      The article's rationale was a developer is often the central actor within
      the development process and should be able to hold one's own. Much of what
      a developer does has consequences, the ability to voice concerns early is
      of great value to the Manager. I recall creativity was also in the survey
      but didn't prove significant.
      The introvert-extrovert dimension wasn't significant for the Manager role
      which would support some claims in this discussion at least for the manager
      role it is not of major importance.

      I've desperately been looking for the article in question but failed
      miserably (I didn't use it in my work afterwards).

      Regards,
      Niels

      2012/3/19 Niels Krijger <niels.krijger@...>

      > I remember reading an article from I think an IEEE journal that showed the
      > Extrovert-Introvert dimension was significant on the dependent variable
      > "Manager-rated performance" for the *developer* role (if I recall
      > correctly the introvert-extrovert dimension was the only significant one
      > for the developer role).
      > The article's rationale was a developer is often the central actor within
      > the development process and should be able to hold one's own. Much of what
      > a developer does has consequences, the ability to voice concerns early is
      > of great value to the Manager. I recall creativity was also in the survey
      > but didn't prove significant.
      > The introvert-extrovert dimension wasn't significant for the Manager role
      > which would support some claims in this discussion at least for the manager
      > role it is not of major importance.
      >
      > I've desperately been looking for the article in question but failed
      > miserably (I didn't use it in my work afterwards).
      >
      > Regards,
      > Niels
      >

      > 2012/3/19 Curtis Cooley <curtis@...>
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM, Curtis Cooley <curtis@...
      >> >wrote:

      >> > Each team needs to find a mix of solo, pairing, and group programming
      >> that
      >> > meets the needs of the team and project. And, by the way, it's different
      >> > for every team.
      >> >
      >> > No surprises here ;)
      >> >

      >> After thinking about this, the whole article is pretty much non sequitor.
      >> It's based on the premise that creativity is the most important quality of
      >> a developer when building software, yet provide no evidence or arguments
      >> prove that is the case. I assert it's not top priority, which is why pair
      >> programming works. If all it took was creativity, then I would agree that
      >> PP is harmful, but it doesn't, it takes more, much more, so it's not.
      >>

      >> --

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 19 2:11 PM
        Or could it just be that managers tend to favor extroverted programmers
        they see as someone they can have a beer with over introverted programmers
        they see as timid and geeky and since reviews are subjective anyway this
        bias tends to show up?

        That may sound a bit stereotypical, but as an extroverted programmer it's
        roughly how I feel about it with my own peers. I work hard to give the
        geeky guys equal time, but I definitely like the ones who are more like me
        better whether I want to admit it or not. Some of my best friends are
        managers.