Re: [XP] BAUF

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 71 , Mar 19, 2012
      On Sun, Mar 18, 2012 at 9:13 PM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > So there is the start of a potential conversation... I use the term
      > "Software Agility" as a way to describe... software that is enjoyable to
      > work with. [Which could also be described as the antithesis of software
      > loaded with technical debt that is difficult to work with.]
      >
      > My nemesis Steve Gordon apparently does not share the view that "Software
      > Agility" is a valid (agile) concern or that it even exists.
      >
      > I'm wondering if anyone else has found it useful to describe software
      > quality in agile terms?
      >
      > I think you are on to something, but it's not a silver bullet. When teams
      are adopting agile, you could say they are Beginners so they need recipes.
      They need to "do agile". But that's not enough. If you just go through the
      motions, you'll never be agile. That's why agile coaches, though evil, can
      help. The team does agile, practicing to get better, and the coaches are
      agile and watch out for ways in which the practices are hurting rather than
      helping.

      I doubt, that with out help, a team trying to adopt agile on their own
      could ever be agile without doing agile. Being agile takes expertise, and
      thus, experts.
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 71 of 71 , Apr 9, 2012
        Dave,

        On 4/9/12 8:56 AM, Dave Rooney wrote:
        > On 12-04-09 8:18 AM, George Dinwiddie wrote:
        >> On 4/9/12 7:30 AM, RonJeffries wrote:
        >>> Paul,

        >>> I'd suggest, Paul, that you should discuss that concern directly with
        >>> the ones you know who do those things.
        >> +1. I'm very tired of people saying "Agile is dead" because marketers
        >> are jumping on the bandwagon.
        >>

        > Hi George,
        >
        > Who said "marketers"?
        >
        > Haven't you and Ron and others here dealt with developers, testers,
        > business analysts, managers, directors, CxO's, janitors who claim to be
        > "doing Agile" or "using Agile" because they have a daily meeting and not
        > much else? I know I have.
        >
        > As you're aware, I'm having a tough time reconciling the behaviour and
        > practices I'm seeing done in the name of Agile to what I learned from
        > XP. Agile as we knew it after the term was coined isn't really like
        > that now, in my experience. Some people get it, many more do not. The
        > term is being diluted to the point of being meaningless, and we're
        > seeing the same old attitudes, same old practices and same old problems
        > occurring, except now they're under the banner of "Agile".

        Yes. My approach (or, one of them) is to compare the behavior and
        practices you mention with the values and principles of the manifesto.
        Agile Software Development is more than a word.

        I was just reading
        http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/
        and was struck by how much it applies to software development. If we're
        not practicing /mindfully/ then we're just reinforcing bad habits.

        - George