BAUF

  • MarvinToll.com
    Message 1 of 71 , Mar 18, 2012
      Almost three years ago I founded a conference called "Agile and Beyond"... in the belief that Big Agile Up Front (BAUF) was putting agile practise ahead of agility outcomes.

      On March 10, David Anderson seemed (to me) to affirm the validity of the observation with a keynote presentation the included the directive:

      Stop Doing Agile [ http://t.co/Ns3LD5z6 ] Rather: Think Agility

      My particular area of interest is Software Agility... that it is more important to arrive at Software Agility than to insist on any particular practise... like a particular flavor of 'project architecture emergence'.

      So, an open-ended thought-starter question: Any Thoughts?
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 71 of 71 , Apr 9, 2012
        Dave,

        On 4/9/12 8:56 AM, Dave Rooney wrote:
        > On 12-04-09 8:18 AM, George Dinwiddie wrote:
        >> On 4/9/12 7:30 AM, RonJeffries wrote:
        >>> Paul,

        >>> I'd suggest, Paul, that you should discuss that concern directly with
        >>> the ones you know who do those things.
        >> +1. I'm very tired of people saying "Agile is dead" because marketers
        >> are jumping on the bandwagon.
        >>

        > Hi George,
        >
        > Who said "marketers"?
        >
        > Haven't you and Ron and others here dealt with developers, testers,
        > business analysts, managers, directors, CxO's, janitors who claim to be
        > "doing Agile" or "using Agile" because they have a daily meeting and not
        > much else? I know I have.
        >
        > As you're aware, I'm having a tough time reconciling the behaviour and
        > practices I'm seeing done in the name of Agile to what I learned from
        > XP. Agile as we knew it after the term was coined isn't really like
        > that now, in my experience. Some people get it, many more do not. The
        > term is being diluted to the point of being meaningless, and we're
        > seeing the same old attitudes, same old practices and same old problems
        > occurring, except now they're under the banner of "Agile".

        Yes. My approach (or, one of them) is to compare the behavior and
        practices you mention with the values and principles of the manifesto.
        Agile Software Development is more than a word.

        I was just reading
        http://www.bulletproofmusician.com/how-many-hours-a-day-should-you-practice/
        and was struck by how much it applies to software development. If we're
        not practicing /mindfully/ then we're just reinforcing bad habits.

        - George