Re: [XP] Question about a habit/practice

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 13, 2012
      Hi George,

      On 12 Feb 2012, at 23:30, George Paci wrote:
      [snip]
      >> Currently I more often reach to my source control system and checkout a fresh version of trunk, fix the related code, then return to my original code and merge the changes in.
      >
      > I think I know what you're saying here, but just to be sure:
      [expansion snipped]

      Yup - that's it :)

      [snip]
      > It seems like one salient advantage of using version control
      > like this is that work on Module B can happen without being
      > complicated by the changes made to Module A (if you go all
      > the way back to T0). But how often does such complication
      > really happen?

      For me it's not so much that the changes to A complicate B, but that the changes to B can affect the direction taken with A.

      Especially in the early stages I'm discovering the design with TDD. The changes to B might lead me to other changes in C and so on. By the time I come up from that rabbit hole the direction originally taken with A may turn out to be wrong.

      > I use stash in git all the time, but I never thought about
      > using it for this kind of case. Typically, to mark a test
      > Pending, I prefix the name with "XXXXXXXXXXXXX", which (a)
      > is not picked up as a test by the framework and (b) is
      > pretty hard to miss in the diff I look over before I commit.

      I use TODO tests in my framework (TAP based) which means that they show up as passing/failing, but a "fail" doesn't cause an overall failure in the test suite, and a "pass" gives an "unexpected success" message.

      > I never thought about having many Pending tests; it seems
      > like it would be difficult to build up a pile of them
      > without doing something else very wrong. Or, you know,
      > having a development situation that hasn't occurred in my
      > limited experiences.

      I think "doing something else very wrong" is a good way of describing what happened with me on occasions where multiple pending tests build up :-) Using the stash gives me a bit of discipline to stop making the same mistakes again.

      > But maybe Sorites was onto something with his paradox[1]:
      > maybe even one Pending test is a pile, and should be
      > avoided: like a comment, it can quickly become out-of-date.

      That's pretty much my opinion. About the only time I use pending tests now are for things that I can't fix immediately (problems caused by third party code for example).

      Cheers,

      Adrian