Re: [XP] Introverts, Agile and Creativity

  • Bill Wake
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 12, 2012
      On Sun, Feb 12, 2012 at 11:09 AM, Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>wrote:

      > Sites like this http://www.knowyourtype.com/infj.html give me the
      > shivers, especially the way the language is similar to cold readings /
      > horoscopes.
      >
      > Of course, the MBTI handbook says that you shouldn't use the types in
      > anything like this sort of way... and yet people do....again and again.
      > That, I think, is actually more interesting than the types themselves :-)

      Thiagi (an amazing training games expert) describes an "experiment" where
      he gave people the MBTI and their scored categories, and had people rate
      how well the (supposed) description matched their self-perception. Most
      people rated it as a perceptive insight. Then he revealed that he'd swapped
      descriptions around.

      (I don't know what descriptions he used, but "cold-reading" came to my mind
      as well; the equivalent of: "You're generally OK but sometimes you get a
      bit depressed about things. You have friends, but some are closer than
      others. Sometimes you don't think people give you what you deserve.")

      My answer to "what category?" is usually "I'm in the one that's skeptical
      about it." :)

      --Bill

      --
      Bill Wake
      Industrial Logic, Inc. http://industriallogic.com @IndustrialLogic

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 19 2:11 PM
        Or could it just be that managers tend to favor extroverted programmers
        they see as someone they can have a beer with over introverted programmers
        they see as timid and geeky and since reviews are subjective anyway this
        bias tends to show up?

        That may sound a bit stereotypical, but as an extroverted programmer it's
        roughly how I feel about it with my own peers. I work hard to give the
        geeky guys equal time, but I definitely like the ones who are more like me
        better whether I want to admit it or not. Some of my best friends are
        managers.