Re: [XP] Introverts, Agile and Creativity

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 9, 2012
      On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 8:50 AM, Acaz Souza Pereira <acazsouza@...>wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > recently came out studies on introverts and creativity and I do not know if
      > the community is knowing:
      >
      > The Power of Introverts: A Manifesto for Quiet Brilliance: Scientific
      > American<
      > http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-power-of-introverts>

      As an introvert I'm a little offended by this line of thinking. I feel like
      I'm getting labeled as some sort of special needs person who can't function
      normally in society. I can adapt fine without "losing a little of who I am"
      thank you very much.

      I'm sure there are people more introverted than I who may find it more
      difficult to function in a team room. Perhaps they shouldn't be programmers
      just like people who can't grok math shouldn't be programmers.

      If you're an extreme 'I' and want to be a programmer, work your ass off to
      get in the top 5% and go work for Joel Spolsky ;)

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 19, 2012
        Or could it just be that managers tend to favor extroverted programmers
        they see as someone they can have a beer with over introverted programmers
        they see as timid and geeky and since reviews are subjective anyway this
        bias tends to show up?

        That may sound a bit stereotypical, but as an extroverted programmer it's
        roughly how I feel about it with my own peers. I work hard to give the
        geeky guys equal time, but I definitely like the ones who are more like me
        better whether I want to admit it or not. Some of my best friends are
        managers.