Re: [XP] Introverts, Agile and Creativity

  • Steve Ropa
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 7, 2012
      My experience has been basically the same. Everyone wanted their private office until they tried the common space. Then they voted to give the offices to someone else. They had more fun, got more done, and in my opinion came up with far more creative answers...

      RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      >Hi John, hi Steven, hi Acaz,
      >
      >On Feb 7, 2012, at 6:15 PM, John Roth wrote:
      >
      >> I think where this applies is the War Room / open office concept for an
      >> XP team.
      >

      >When I created my software R&D space some years ago, I ensured that every programmer had a private office with a window.
      >
      >When we did some of our really difficult projects, we created a "war room" to work in. It went better.
      >
      >When XP was invented, we worked with everyone in a big room. No one on the team wanted to go back: we were all certain that it was the most productive and enjoyable project we had ever been on.
      >
      >I have worked with many teams since then, and the results have been the same. Except for a very few individuals -- who have never been considered to be key team members anyway -- teams have been more productive by their own measure, in a team room.
      >
      >I don't know what kind of rooms or projects these articles refer to, but I would never do a software project without the team in its own common space if I had any choice at all.
      >
      >Ron Jeffries
      >www.XProgramming.com
      >I try to Zen through it and keep my voice very mellow and low.
      >Inside I am screaming and have a machine gun.
      >Yin and Yang I figure.
      > -- Tom Jeffries

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 19, 2012
        Or could it just be that managers tend to favor extroverted programmers
        they see as someone they can have a beer with over introverted programmers
        they see as timid and geeky and since reviews are subjective anyway this
        bias tends to show up?

        That may sound a bit stereotypical, but as an extroverted programmer it's
        roughly how I feel about it with my own peers. I work hard to give the
        geeky guys equal time, but I definitely like the ones who are more like me
        better whether I want to admit it or not. Some of my best friends are
        managers.