Introverts, Agile and Creativity

  • Acaz Souza Pereira
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 7, 2012
      Hi,

      recently came out studies on introverts and creativity and I do not know if
      the community is knowing:

      The Power of Introverts: A Manifesto for Quiet Brilliance: Scientific
      American<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=the-power-of-introverts>

      The Rise of the New Groupthink -
      NYTimes.com<http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/15/opinion/sunday/the-rise-of-the-new-groupthink.html>

      *Our companies, our schools and our culture are in thrall to an idea I call
      the New Groupthink, which*
      *holds that creativity and achievement come from an oddly gregarious place.
      Most of us now work in*
      *teams, in offices without walls, for managers who prize people skills
      above all.*
      *
      *
      *But there�s a problem with this view. Research strongly suggests that
      people are more creative when*
      *they enjoy privacy and freedom from interruption. And the most
      spectacularly creative people in many*
      *fields are often introverted, according to studies by the psychologists
      Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi and*
      *Gregory Feist. They�re extroverted enough to exchange and advance ideas,
      but see themselves as*
      *independent and individualistic. They�re not joiners by nature.*
      *
      *
      Agile deal a lot with people, collaboration and interaction. I'd like to
      start a discussion in this direction.

      How the community has responded, tried and tested to these researches?

      Activities such as pair programming brings loss of creativity?

      --
      *[Acaz Souza Pereira]*

      *MSN/GTalk:* acazsouza@...
      *Skype:* acazsouza
      *Cel:* (31) 8706-4103

      twitter.com/acazsouza

      acazsouza.com.br

    • Adam Sroka
      Message 68 of 68 , Mar 19, 2012
        Or could it just be that managers tend to favor extroverted programmers
        they see as someone they can have a beer with over introverted programmers
        they see as timid and geeky and since reviews are subjective anyway this
        bias tends to show up?

        That may sound a bit stereotypical, but as an extroverted programmer it's
        roughly how I feel about it with my own peers. I work hard to give the
        geeky guys equal time, but I definitely like the ones who are more like me
        better whether I want to admit it or not. Some of my best friends are
        managers.