Re: [XP] Refactoring and XP

  • Vladimir Ignatov
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
      > I don't think using
      > unique names is a bad idea at all. Just so long as those names are
      > communicative and not full of a bunch of silly extra characters that
      > are there just to make them unique.

      I don't think either. In 99% cases names already born unique without
      any extra efforts. In the rest 1%, I just make them "even more"
      descriptive until they become true unique.

      > I think rename is a great thing to have in an editor, but what it is
      > doing is not any different than what you can do with other tools (e.g.
      > grep/sed/AWK and their ilk, Quicksilver, an editor that has multi-file
      > regex based search and replace, etc.) And move is really nothing more
      > than cut and paste, although having a tool that can move more than one
      > thing at a time just by ticking a box is nice.

      Yes, but... If you need some extra efforts to do renaming, then your
      (okay - MY) mind would whisper ---- "lets delay this renaming, it can
      wait...".
      I do so much renaming only because it so "cheap" and mindless for me.
      As a bonus my script generates xref files - one for each name with
      source quotes - how each particular name is used in code.
      It also able to build a "call chains" and other additional information
      about my source code - all due the fact that names are garantied to be
      unique.

      Vladimir Ignatov
    • Steve Ropa
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
        Hi Steve,

        I am a little worried about that statement. Please don’t let your tool limit which refactoring methods you use, and don’t wait for a tool before you use them. I might be kind of a fuddy-duddy, but I really like to do many of the refactorings “by hand”. It isn’t that I dislike using the tools, and I will definitely use them for simple stuff or just to save typing, but there is something to be said for doing all of the activities yourself.

        Yet Another Steve

        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
          Don't get me wrong I have to do move method by hand right now. I didn't mean to imply that I stop trying to remove duplication as soon as it isn't handed to me.

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
            Whew! I’ve seen folks who believe that strongly. I’m glad I misinterpreted your message.

            On Jan 16, 2012, at 11:12 AM, "Steve Ropa" <theropas@... <mailto:theropas%40q.com> > wrote:

            > Hi Steve,
            >
            > I am a little worried about that statement. Please don’t let your tool limit which refactoring methods you use, and don’t wait for a tool before you use them. I might be kind of a fuddy-duddy, but I really like to do many of the refactorings “by hand”. It isn’t that I dislike using the tools, and I will definitely use them for simple stuff or just to save typing, but there is something to be said for doing all of the activities yourself.
            >
            > Yet Another Steve

          • Tom
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
              Visual Studio without ReSharper is unbearable. I bought a license with my own money when a client wouldn't pop for it. I use Java and Ruby at home for financial and other reasons, so I had no use for that license except to keep my workdays from being a living hell.

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steve <solomon.steven.m@...> wrote:

              > I program in c# I use rename, extract. I have used others like move up and extract class however visual studio doesn't provide native support for these so I am limited until my company purchases a plugin like resharper
              >
              > Sent from my iPhone
              >
              > On Jan 15, 2012, at 4:09 AM, "sandri8428" <scholes84@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Hello everyone,
              > >
              > > Im starting research in XP, right now Ive been reading about Refactoring and I have a question:
              > > Which refactoring technique would you consider the most useful?
              > > According to your experience Do you believe that the current refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?

            • Tom Rossen
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                If you create a property in C# whose type is a class, the naming convention (supported by ReSharper) is to use exactly the same orthography as the class name itself.  Without code analysis, any of the tools you mention would wreak havoc if you used them to change the name of such a property.  ReSharper and Eclipse's refactoring are definitely safer.

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                  +1

                  It is important to recognize that these opinions depend on the language and
                  environment. My earlier comments are mostly from the point of view of a web
                  programmer with years of Ruby/Python/Perl/JavaScript experience (using TDD
                  and Refactoring.) I have also worked as a Java and C# programmer, and find
                  IntelliJ and ReSharper (respectively) invaluable when forced to work in
                  those languages.