Refactoring and XP

  • sandri8428
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
      Hello everyone,

      Im starting research in XP, right now Ive been reading about Refactoring and I have a question:
      Which refactoring technique would you consider the most useful?
      According to your experience Do you believe that the current refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?
    • RonJeffries
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
        Hello Sandri8428, if that is in fact your name,

        On Jan 15, 2012, at 4:09 AM, sandri8428 wrote:

        > Which refactoring technique would you consider the most useful?
        > According to your experience Do you believe that the current refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?

        Extract Method is the refactoring I use most, by far. Move Method is probably second. Extract Class might be third.

        I have no opinion on the current refactoring tools in general. All the ones I use provide more than enough for me on most days, and sometimes let me down.

        Everything that needs to be said has already been said.
        But since no one was listening, everything must be said again. -- Andre Gide

      • Adam Sroka
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
          On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM, sandri8428 <scholes84@...> wrote:

          > Hello everyone,
          >
          > Im starting research in XP, right now Ive been reading about Refactoring and I have a question:
          > Which refactoring technique would you consider the most useful?

          Rename, move, and extract. I can't choose between the three, but if
          you pulled my arm I'd pick extract because the other two are easily
          replaced by find-and-replace and cut-and-paste (*NOT* copy)
          respectively.

          > According to your experience Do you believe that the current refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?

          I'm not familiar with RefactorNG. I've used all of the JetBrains tools
          and Eclipse. They don't suck, but, IMO, they aren't leaps and bounds
          above a programmer's editor like emacs, vim, or TextMate. The later
          three do just fine, IMO.
        • james@renaissancesoftware.net
          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
            My top three are rename, extract and move. I use eclipse/cdt. Unfortunately, for C and C++ the only one that is reliable rename. But that by itself is worth using eclipse/cdt for.

            I searched for RefactorNG and could not find it. Can you post a link?

            James

            James Grenning Author of TDD for Embedded C
            www.renaissancesoftware.net http://pragprog.com/titles/jgade/
            www.renaissancesoftware.net/blog
            www.twitter.com/jwgrenning

            On Jan 15, 2012, at 6:33 AM, Adam Sroka wrote:

            > On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM, sandri8428 <scholes84@...> wrote:
            > >

            > > Hello everyone,
            > >
            > > Im starting research in XP, right now Ive been reading about Refactoring and I have a question:
            > > Which refactoring technique would you consider the most useful?
            >
            > Rename, move, and extract. I can't choose between the three, but if
            > you pulled my arm I'd pick extract because the other two are easily
            > replaced by find-and-replace and cut-and-paste (*NOT* copy)
            > respectively.
            >
            > > According to your experience Do you believe that the current refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?
            > >

            > I'm not familiar with RefactorNG. I've used all of the JetBrains tools
            > and Eclipse. They don't suck, but, IMO, they aren't leaps and bounds
            > above a programmer's editor like emacs, vim, or TextMate. The later
            > three do just fine, IMO.

          • Steve
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
              I program in c# I use rename, extract. I have used others like move up and extract class however visual studio doesn't provide native support for these so I am limited until my company purchases a plugin like resharper

              Sent from my iPhone

              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                P.S. I should clarify: I am a huge fan of JetBrains and their tools.
                If you are working in Java or C#, you have a sufficiently beefy
                machine, and your company is helping you pay, then I think they are a
                no-brainer. If you are not very experienced with refactoring they also
                hold your hand a bit, which is very nice. Ditto for Eclipse.

                However, the tools still have a long way to go to be as light and
                speedy as something like CLI + a good editor, and if you are working
                in other languages the overhead of the tools can be frustrating. When
                working in e.g. Ruby or JavaScript I find that CLI + editor is much
                less cumbersome and far more portable. So, I still tend to prefer
                that.

                On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 9:33 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                > On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 6:09 PM, sandri8428 <scholes84@...> wrote:
                >>

                >> Hello everyone,
                >>
                >> Im starting research in XP, right now Ive been reading about Refactoring and I have a question:
                >> Which refactoring technique would you consider the most useful?
                >
                > Rename, move, and extract. I can't choose between the three, but if
                > you pulled my arm I'd pick extract because the other two are easily
                > replaced by find-and-replace and cut-and-paste (*NOT* copy)
                > respectively.
                >
                >> According to your experience Do you believe that the current refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?
                >>

                > I'm not familiar with RefactorNG. I've used all of the JetBrains tools
                > and Eclipse. They don't suck, but, IMO, they aren't leaps and bounds
                > above a programmer's editor like emacs, vim, or TextMate. The later
                > three do just fine, IMO.
              • George Dinwiddie
                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                  On 1/15/12 4:09 AM, sandri8428 wrote:
                  > Hello everyone,
                  >
                  > Im starting research in XP, right now Ive been reading about
                  > Refactoring and I have a question: Which refactoring technique would
                  > you consider the most useful?

                  I use Extract and Inline a lot, together. It was shocking when I was at
                  a client site and the IDE they used did not support Inline in Java.

                  Rename is also very handy, and better in many cases than Search and
                  Replace. This allows me to not worry about getting the name right the
                  first time.

                  > According to your experience Do you believe that the current
                  > refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most
                  > of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?

                  Depends on the IDE.

                  - George

                • RonJeffries
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 15, 2012
                    Hi George,

                    On Jan 15, 2012, at 8:47 PM, George Dinwiddie wrote:

                    > Rename is also very handy, and better in many cases than Search and
                    > Replace. This allows me to not worry about getting the name right the
                    > first time.

                    Yes. I use rename all the time, so often that I didn't think of it. :)

                    I'm not bad, I'm just drawn that way. -- Jessica Rabbit

                  • Vladimir Ignatov
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                      I think "rename" is essential and should be as much simple as possible.

                      Unfortunately with "dynamic" languages (say my favorite Python) or in
                      "mixed" environment (say - a lot of html, template or javascript code,
                      documentation files etc) it is hard to impossible to do "right" renaming
                      _automatically_. To help myself I develop a small "cheat". It's so dirty
                      and dumb that I am shy to tell you...

                      Well, I just force all interesting things to have_unique_ names. Then I use
                      simple custom tool to do "mass-renaming". It runs across all source files
                      and mindlessly replaces "old names" with "new names" without any manual
                      intervention, "previews" or such. Few seconds and your "renaming
                      refactoring" is done.

                      Yes, it sounds horrible. But it works for me for past several years.

                      Vladimir Ignatov

                      On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:50 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                      > **
                      > > Rename is also very handy, and better in many cases than Search and
                      > > Replace. This allows me to not worry about getting the name right the
                      > > first time.

                    • Adam Sroka
                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                        I can't tell if you are being sarcastic, but I don't think using
                        unique names is a bad idea at all. Just so long as those names are
                        communicative and not full of a bunch of silly extra characters that
                        are there just to make them unique.

                        I think rename is a great thing to have in an editor, but what it is
                        doing is not any different than what you can do with other tools (e.g.
                        grep/sed/AWK and their ilk, Quicksilver, an editor that has multi-file
                        regex based search and replace, etc.) And move is really nothing more
                        than cut and paste, although having a tool that can move more than one
                        thing at a time just by ticking a box is nice.

                        To me, extract/inline has the most complex semantics of the small,
                        atomic refactorings, because you must add or remove the method
                        signature (More of a pain in languages with curly braces or semantic
                        whitespace.) That is why I agreed with Ron that it is the one I find
                        most useful.

                        Pretty much all more complex refactorings can be composed by combining
                        these techniques. Although, having more advanced refactoring support
                        can be a joy when you know exactly where you want to go and can get
                        there quicker with a big step.

                        So, is advanced refactoring support useful to me? Potentially. Do I
                        want to pay a lot in terms of money, effort learning a new tool,
                        and/or performance overhead to get it? Not really.

                        That's my take.

                        On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 6:23 PM, Vladimir Ignatov <kmisoft@...> wrote:

                        > I think "rename" is essential and should be as much simple as possible.
                        >
                        > Unfortunately with "dynamic" languages (say my favorite Python) or in
                        > "mixed" environment (say - a lot of html, template or javascript code,
                        > documentation files etc) it is hard to impossible to do "right" renaming
                        > _automatically_. To help myself I develop a small "cheat". It's so dirty
                        > and dumb that I am shy to tell you...
                        >
                        > Well, I just force all interesting things to have_unique_ names. Then I use
                        > simple custom tool to do "mass-renaming". It runs across all source files
                        > and mindlessly replaces "old names" with "new names" without any manual
                        > intervention, "previews" or such. Few seconds and your "renaming
                        > refactoring" is done.
                        >
                        > Yes, it sounds horrible. But it works for me for past several years.
                        >
                        > Vladimir Ignatov
                        >
                        > On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 5:50 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > **
                        >

                        > > > Rename is also very handy, and better in many cases than Search and
                        > > > Replace. This allows me to not worry about getting the name right the
                        > > > first time.

                      • Giorgio Sironi
                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                          On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Vladimir Ignatov <kmisoft@...>wrote:

                          > **
                          >
                          > Well, I just force all interesting things to have_unique_ names. Then I use
                          > simple custom tool to do "mass-renaming". It runs across all source files
                          > and mindlessly replaces "old names" with "new names" without any manual
                          > intervention, "previews" or such. Few seconds and your "renaming
                          > refactoring" is done.

                          I work with dynamic languages, where automated refactoring tools do not
                          exist. I do exactly this but only when I'm not sure about a name - for
                          example, on creation I may call a Command implementation a
                          BaseElementRelatedCommand; in the subsequent commits, it's easy to rename
                          it with sed when I come up with a more meaningful name.

                          --
                          Giorgio Sironi (@giorgiosironi)
                          http://giorgiosironi.blogspot.com

                        • Vladimir Ignatov
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                            > I don't think using
                            > unique names is a bad idea at all. Just so long as those names are
                            > communicative and not full of a bunch of silly extra characters that
                            > are there just to make them unique.

                            I don't think either. In 99% cases names already born unique without
                            any extra efforts. In the rest 1%, I just make them "even more"
                            descriptive until they become true unique.

                            > I think rename is a great thing to have in an editor, but what it is
                            > doing is not any different than what you can do with other tools (e.g.
                            > grep/sed/AWK and their ilk, Quicksilver, an editor that has multi-file
                            > regex based search and replace, etc.) And move is really nothing more
                            > than cut and paste, although having a tool that can move more than one
                            > thing at a time just by ticking a box is nice.

                            Yes, but... If you need some extra efforts to do renaming, then your
                            (okay - MY) mind would whisper ---- "lets delay this renaming, it can
                            wait...".
                            I do so much renaming only because it so "cheap" and mindless for me.
                            As a bonus my script generates xref files - one for each name with
                            source quotes - how each particular name is used in code.
                            It also able to build a "call chains" and other additional information
                            about my source code - all due the fact that names are garantied to be
                            unique.

                            Vladimir Ignatov
                          • Steve Ropa
                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                              Hi Steve,

                              I am a little worried about that statement. Please don’t let your tool limit which refactoring methods you use, and don’t wait for a tool before you use them. I might be kind of a fuddy-duddy, but I really like to do many of the refactorings “by hand”. It isn’t that I dislike using the tools, and I will definitely use them for simple stuff or just to save typing, but there is something to be said for doing all of the activities yourself.

                              Yet Another Steve

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                                Don't get me wrong I have to do move method by hand right now. I didn't mean to imply that I stop trying to remove duplication as soon as it isn't handed to me.

                                Sent from my iPhone

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                                  Whew! I’ve seen folks who believe that strongly. I’m glad I misinterpreted your message.

                                  On Jan 16, 2012, at 11:12 AM, "Steve Ropa" <theropas@... <mailto:theropas%40q.com> > wrote:

                                  > Hi Steve,
                                  >
                                  > I am a little worried about that statement. Please don’t let your tool limit which refactoring methods you use, and don’t wait for a tool before you use them. I might be kind of a fuddy-duddy, but I really like to do many of the refactorings “by hand”. It isn’t that I dislike using the tools, and I will definitely use them for simple stuff or just to save typing, but there is something to be said for doing all of the activities yourself.
                                  >
                                  > Yet Another Steve

                                • Tom
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                                    Visual Studio without ReSharper is unbearable. I bought a license with my own money when a client wouldn't pop for it. I use Java and Ruby at home for financial and other reasons, so I had no use for that license except to keep my workdays from being a living hell.

                                    --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Steve <solomon.steven.m@...> wrote:

                                    > I program in c# I use rename, extract. I have used others like move up and extract class however visual studio doesn't provide native support for these so I am limited until my company purchases a plugin like resharper
                                    >
                                    > Sent from my iPhone
                                    >
                                    > On Jan 15, 2012, at 4:09 AM, "sandri8428" <scholes84@...> wrote:
                                    >
                                    > > Hello everyone,
                                    > >
                                    > > Im starting research in XP, right now Ive been reading about Refactoring and I have a question:
                                    > > Which refactoring technique would you consider the most useful?
                                    > > According to your experience Do you believe that the current refactoring tools included in some IDE like RefactoringNG covers most of the refactoring opportunities within a given code?

                                  • Tom Rossen
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                                      If you create a property in C# whose type is a class, the naming convention (supported by ReSharper) is to use exactly the same orthography as the class name itself.  Without code analysis, any of the tools you mention would wreak havoc if you used them to change the name of such a property.  ReSharper and Eclipse's refactoring are definitely safer.

                                      Message 18 of 18 , Jan 16, 2012
                                        +1

                                        It is important to recognize that these opinions depend on the language and
                                        environment. My earlier comments are mostly from the point of view of a web
                                        programmer with years of Ruby/Python/Perl/JavaScript experience (using TDD
                                        and Refactoring.) I have also worked as a Java and C# programmer, and find
                                        IntelliJ and ReSharper (respectively) invaluable when forced to work in
                                        those languages.