Re: [XP] How are you using VersionOne?

  • Charlie Poole
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
      Hi All,

      While I don't have any experience with or (therefore) opinion about the
      VersionOne software,
      I can say something about "if you have it anyway, you might as well get
      some value."

      I've run into plenty of waste caused by teams feeling they have to use some
      piece of
      software because the company had licensed it. If any added bit of process
      doesn't give
      value to the team, then it subtracts it.

      So my advice is to evaluate whether the software is useful to you, just as
      if you were
      thinking about acquiring it, and without giving any extra points due to
      already having it.

      Charlie

    • theropas@q.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
        Hi Charlie,

        You are absolutely right. I was just being a tad flippant. My offer was to help see if there was any value to be had. I'll be more than happy to say "hey, you know what, you don't need this". I'm not in sales, and nobody wins if the tool is not adding value.

        While I don't have any experience with or (therefore) opinion about the
        VersionOne software,
        I can say something about "if you have it anyway, you might as well get
        some value."

        I've run into plenty of waste caused by teams feeling they have to use some
        piece of
        software because the company had licensed it. If any added bit of process
        doesn't give
        value to the team, then it subtracts it.

        So my advice is to evaluate whether the software is useful to you, just as
        if you were
        thinking about acquiring it, and without giving any extra points due to
        already having it.

        Charlie

        On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM, <theropas@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hey George,
        >
        > Based on what you are saying wrt already having a wall of story cards, the
        > other posters are probably right. Now I work for VersionOne, so I'm glad
        > your company has bought licenses, though.. :-)
        >
        > I don't know what problem your company is trying to solve either, but if
        > you wanted to explore a little "off-list" feel free to send me a note at
        > steven.ropa@...
        >
        > No pressure here at all, I'm far more interested in Agile and XP than
        > convincing anyone to use a tool. But if you have it anyway, you might as
        > well get some value.
        >
        > Cheers,
        >
        > Steve

      • Charlie Poole
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
          Hi,

          One of the cool things about this list is that we can all throw in our
          reactions based
          on our different life / professional experiences and it's all good. Thanks
          for your
          positive attitude.

          Charlie

        • Curtis Cooley
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
            On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...>wrote:

            > Hi,
            >
            > One of the cool things about this list is that we can all throw in our
            > reactions based
            > on our different life / professional experiences and it's all good. Thanks
            > for your
            > positive attitude.
            >
            > Charlie
            >
            > On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM, <theropas@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Hi Charlie,
            > >
            > > You are absolutely right. I was just being a tad flippant. My offer was
            > > help see if there was any value to be had. I'll be more than happy to say
            > > "hey, you know what, you don't need this". I'm not in sales, and nobody
            > > wins if the tool is not adding value.

            I would spend some time seeing what problems it does solve, so when/if
            those problems arise, or you're having them already, you have a possible
            solution. Like that weird shaped club you found on sale and never used
            until to were in a situation where no other club would help. Now you're
            glad it's in your bag.