Re: [XP] How are you using VersionOne?

  • theropas@q.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
      Hey George,

      Based on what you are saying wrt already having a wall of story cards, the other posters are probably right. Now I work for VersionOne, so I'm glad your company has bought licenses, though.. :-)

      I don't know what problem your company is trying to solve either, but if you wanted to explore a little "off-list" feel free to send me a note at steven.ropa@...

      No pressure here at all, I'm far more interested in Agile and XP than convincing anyone to use a tool. But if you have it anyway, you might as well get some value.

      Cheers,

      Steve

      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
        Hi All,

        While I don't have any experience with or (therefore) opinion about the
        VersionOne software,
        I can say something about "if you have it anyway, you might as well get
        some value."

        I've run into plenty of waste caused by teams feeling they have to use some
        piece of
        software because the company had licensed it. If any added bit of process
        doesn't give
        value to the team, then it subtracts it.

        So my advice is to evaluate whether the software is useful to you, just as
        if you were
        thinking about acquiring it, and without giving any extra points due to
        already having it.

        Charlie

      • theropas@q.com
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
          Hi Charlie,

          You are absolutely right. I was just being a tad flippant. My offer was to help see if there was any value to be had. I'll be more than happy to say "hey, you know what, you don't need this". I'm not in sales, and nobody wins if the tool is not adding value.

          While I don't have any experience with or (therefore) opinion about the
          VersionOne software,
          I can say something about "if you have it anyway, you might as well get
          some value."

          I've run into plenty of waste caused by teams feeling they have to use some
          piece of
          software because the company had licensed it. If any added bit of process
          doesn't give
          value to the team, then it subtracts it.

          So my advice is to evaluate whether the software is useful to you, just as
          if you were
          thinking about acquiring it, and without giving any extra points due to
          already having it.

          Charlie

          On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM, <theropas@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Hey George,
          >
          > Based on what you are saying wrt already having a wall of story cards, the
          > other posters are probably right. Now I work for VersionOne, so I'm glad
          > your company has bought licenses, though.. :-)
          >
          > I don't know what problem your company is trying to solve either, but if
          > you wanted to explore a little "off-list" feel free to send me a note at
          > steven.ropa@...
          >
          > No pressure here at all, I'm far more interested in Agile and XP than
          > convincing anyone to use a tool. But if you have it anyway, you might as
          > well get some value.
          >
          > Cheers,
          >
          > Steve

        • Charlie Poole
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
            Hi,

            One of the cool things about this list is that we can all throw in our
            reactions based
            on our different life / professional experiences and it's all good. Thanks
            for your
            positive attitude.

            Charlie

          • Curtis Cooley
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
              On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...>wrote:

              > Hi,
              >
              > One of the cool things about this list is that we can all throw in our
              > reactions based
              > on our different life / professional experiences and it's all good. Thanks
              > for your
              > positive attitude.
              >
              > Charlie
              >
              > On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM, <theropas@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Hi Charlie,
              > >
              > > You are absolutely right. I was just being a tad flippant. My offer was
              > > help see if there was any value to be had. I'll be more than happy to say
              > > "hey, you know what, you don't need this". I'm not in sales, and nobody
              > > wins if the tool is not adding value.

              I would spend some time seeing what problems it does solve, so when/if
              those problems arise, or you're having them already, you have a possible
              solution. Like that weird shaped club you found on sale and never used
              until to were in a situation where no other club would help. Now you're
              glad it's in your bag.