How are you using VersionOne?

  • George Paci
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 11, 2012
      All,

      My team has a license for VersionOne, but we're not getting much use out
      of it.

      One reason is that we're busy working on our first release, and don't have
      time to play around with it. But another reason is that we don't really see
      what benefits we can get out of it (without, as I said, having used it
      all that
      much so far) over and above what our wall of story cards provides us.

      So what are your teams using it for?

      (I'm in no way knocking VersionOne here; I'm just trying to figure out how,
      when, and whether to fit it into our daily process.)

      --George gpaci at tiac dot net

      Our scientific conferences are filled with papers that focus on
      incremental improvements observed when asking unskilled laborers (whom
      we call "novices") to perform office chores. We call this "usability".
      --Mark Bernstein
    • Torbjörn Gyllebring
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 11, 2012
        Hi George,
        I'm sure VersionOne is a excellent tool for what it does and the problems
        it attempt to solve.
        alas this strikes me as rather backwards.
        Tools should be added when they're a good fit for an actual problem, not in
        be part of some "just in case" setup hoping to figure out what value it
        might provide later.
        If we buy in to the idea that our code should be as small, simple and free
        from speculation as possible we really ought to apply the same idea when it
        comes to process & tooling.

        So I guess the question you should be asking yourselves, colleagues and
        whomever is responsible for actually selecting, purchasing & installing it
        is:
        What problems is this meant to address?
        Is this the simplest (not most simplistic or "easy") solution to that
        problem?
        If not, is it a compromise worth living with?

        Cheers,
        - Torbj�rn Gyllebring

        On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 10:47 PM, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:

        > All,
        >
        > My team has a license for VersionOne, but we're not getting much use out
        > of it.
        >
        > One reason is that we're busy working on our first release, and don't have
        > time to play around with it. But another reason is that we don't really see
        > what benefits we can get out of it (without, as I said, having used it
        > all that
        > much so far) over and above what our wall of story cards provides us.
        >
        > So what are your teams using it for?
        >
        > (I'm in no way knocking VersionOne here; I'm just trying to figure out how,
        > when, and whether to fit it into our daily process.)
        >
        > --George gpaci at tiac dot net
        >
        > Our scientific conferences are filled with papers that focus on
        > incremental improvements observed when asking unskilled laborers (whom
        > we call "novices") to perform office chores. We call this "usability".
        > --Mark Bernstein

      • Adam Sroka
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 11, 2012
          I have used VersionOne at more than one client over the years. I think your
          instinct to suspect you don't need it much is a good one.

          I tend to prefer tools like LeanKit Kanban or SeeNowDo.com, because they
          don't try to be anything more than a basic board for tracking work. Even in
          those cases I wouldn't use them unless you are distributed and a physical
          board isn't really an option.

          Keeping a large backlog, and all the artifacts around it, is a process
          smell. And if you do have too big of a backlog to track with a simple board
          (preferably a physical one) then you should just use Excel or another good
          spreadsheet until you get it back to a manageable size.

          My two cents.

        • theropas@q.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
            Hey George,

            Based on what you are saying wrt already having a wall of story cards, the other posters are probably right. Now I work for VersionOne, so I'm glad your company has bought licenses, though.. :-)

            I don't know what problem your company is trying to solve either, but if you wanted to explore a little "off-list" feel free to send me a note at steven.ropa@...

            No pressure here at all, I'm far more interested in Agile and XP than convincing anyone to use a tool. But if you have it anyway, you might as well get some value.

            Cheers,

            Steve

            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
              Hi All,

              While I don't have any experience with or (therefore) opinion about the
              VersionOne software,
              I can say something about "if you have it anyway, you might as well get
              some value."

              I've run into plenty of waste caused by teams feeling they have to use some
              piece of
              software because the company had licensed it. If any added bit of process
              doesn't give
              value to the team, then it subtracts it.

              So my advice is to evaluate whether the software is useful to you, just as
              if you were
              thinking about acquiring it, and without giving any extra points due to
              already having it.

              Charlie

            • theropas@q.com
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
                Hi Charlie,

                You are absolutely right. I was just being a tad flippant. My offer was to help see if there was any value to be had. I'll be more than happy to say "hey, you know what, you don't need this". I'm not in sales, and nobody wins if the tool is not adding value.

                While I don't have any experience with or (therefore) opinion about the
                VersionOne software,
                I can say something about "if you have it anyway, you might as well get
                some value."

                I've run into plenty of waste caused by teams feeling they have to use some
                piece of
                software because the company had licensed it. If any added bit of process
                doesn't give
                value to the team, then it subtracts it.

                So my advice is to evaluate whether the software is useful to you, just as
                if you were
                thinking about acquiring it, and without giving any extra points due to
                already having it.

                Charlie

                On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 5:57 PM, <theropas@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > Hey George,
                >
                > Based on what you are saying wrt already having a wall of story cards, the
                > other posters are probably right. Now I work for VersionOne, so I'm glad
                > your company has bought licenses, though.. :-)
                >
                > I don't know what problem your company is trying to solve either, but if
                > you wanted to explore a little "off-list" feel free to send me a note at
                > steven.ropa@...
                >
                > No pressure here at all, I'm far more interested in Agile and XP than
                > convincing anyone to use a tool. But if you have it anyway, you might as
                > well get some value.
                >
                > Cheers,
                >
                > Steve

              • Charlie Poole
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 12, 2012
                  Hi,

                  One of the cool things about this list is that we can all throw in our
                  reactions based
                  on our different life / professional experiences and it's all good. Thanks
                  for your
                  positive attitude.

                  Charlie

                • Curtis Cooley
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 16, 2012
                    On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:13 PM, Charlie Poole <charliepoole@...>wrote:

                    > Hi,
                    >
                    > One of the cool things about this list is that we can all throw in our
                    > reactions based
                    > on our different life / professional experiences and it's all good. Thanks
                    > for your
                    > positive attitude.
                    >
                    > Charlie
                    >
                    > On Thu, Jan 12, 2012 at 8:09 PM, <theropas@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > > **
                    > >

                    > > Hi Charlie,
                    > >
                    > > You are absolutely right. I was just being a tad flippant. My offer was
                    > > help see if there was any value to be had. I'll be more than happy to say
                    > > "hey, you know what, you don't need this". I'm not in sales, and nobody
                    > > wins if the tool is not adding value.

                    I would spend some time seeing what problems it does solve, so when/if
                    those problems arise, or you're having them already, you have a possible
                    solution. Like that weird shaped club you found on sale and never used
                    until to were in a situation where no other club would help. Now you're
                    glad it's in your bag.