HR policies and Annual performance appraisals

  • Ram Srinivasan
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 21, 2011
      Hello fellow agilists:

      Some of my thorniest problems have been HR policies, especially annual
      performance reviews where individuals are recognized and awarded. On the
      contrary, Scrum (or most of the Agile methodologies that I know of )
      promote team work. How have you solved this problem ?

      What other problems did you guys face in transitioning from a regular (read
      waterfall SDLC) software dev organization when adopting agile methodologies
      ?

      Ram

    • Michael Mallete
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 24, 2011
        You may want to check this book out:

        http://www.amazon.com/Abolishing-Performance-Appraisals-Backfire-Instead/dp/1576752003

        Caution: it's a pretty radical change :-)

        What we adapted is reward on a team level. Let them set team goals and
        negotiate with management if what they wrote is enough to warrant
        promotions or increases. Sprinkle in 360 degree ratings as well for
        individual level rewards.

        HTH

        regards,
        mike

        On Tue, Nov 22, 2011 at 12:43 AM, Ram Srinivasan <vasan.ram@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Hello fellow agilists:
        >
        > Some of my thorniest problems have been HR policies, especially annual
        > performance reviews where individuals are recognized and awarded. On the
        > contrary, Scrum (or most of the Agile methodologies that I know of )
        > promote team work. How have you solved this problem ?
        >
        > What other problems did you guys face in transitioning from a regular (read
        > waterfall SDLC) software dev organization when adopting agile methodologies
        > ?
        >
        > Ram

      • Tim Ottinger
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 1, 2011
          The best person to ask this is probably Esther Derby, who has written much on this subject. Oddly, Deming (king of quality!) said that performance appraisals were counterproductive and overall a bad idea. It was another of his ideas that we ignore at our peril.

          A few resources from Esther:
          http://www.estherderby.com/2011/11/supporting-team-based-work.html

          http://www.estherderby.com/2010/07/performance-without-appraisal-addressing-the-most-common-concerns.html

          http://www.estherderby.com/weblog/2009/09/performance-without-appraisal-build.html