What have we discovered?

  • George Paci
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 13, 2011
      All,

      I was reading a talk by Laurent Bossavit where he talked about the
      Future of Agile,[1]
      and it got me thinking. In particular: XP has always made a lot of
      space for teams
      to learn things and change how they do things and add things and just
      generally get
      smarter and more capable. And we all kind of expect that teams that
      face novel
      challenges will tend to come up with novel solutions frequently. And at
      the other,
      infrequent end, we expect that once in a while, a team will face a
      near-universal
      challenge and actually come up with a novel solution for it.[2]

      So my question is this: In the last five years of doing XP (which may
      involve more
      man-hours of XP than in the entire previous history of the world), what
      things have
      we discovered about how to work better? Are there practices that should
      be added to
      a hypothetical _XP Explained, Next Edition_? Or is XP all mined out,
      with all of the
      discovery being about particular problems and contexts and people and
      how to interface
      with Lean Kanban Scrumology?

      [1] You should go read it, even though this post has almost nothing to
      do with it.
      I don't know if Google+ stuff works for everyone, but here's a URL:
      https://plus.google.com/115091715679003832601

      [2] Or anyway, I do.

      --George gpaci at tiac dot net

      PS: If you're in or near Washington, DC, the company I work for is (a)
      hiring and
      (b) doing XP. Send me an email if you're interested in finding out
      more.