RE: [XP] remote brainstorming sticky notes

  • Kay A Pentecost
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
      I went to the site and got a message that my "browser is not supported."

      Personally I don't care if they don't know how to develop a website for
      multiple browsers... but it doesn't assure me about the quality of the
      software...

      <sarcasm>
      Of course I (your possible client, supposedly a skilled developer) am not
      smart enough or knowledgeable enough to chose the browser that *I* want to
      use (for whatever reason)... so obviously I'm not *smart* enough to buy or
      use your product! Bang! One lost sale there, and Bang! Bang! Lost
      referral(s), too!)
      </sarcasm>

      Always slap a potential client in the face before giving them info about the
      product!

      Kay Pentecost

    • gregc
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
        I recently started experimenting with trello for personal project management.Although it was wasn't designed for remote brainstorming, I think Chris might be on to something. I could see it easily working for that. Nothing like unintended uses to expose new opportunities.

        Other ideas include
        1. mindjet just came out with Mindjet Connect for this purpose.
        2. Innovation Games has online versions of their games and you can upload any template you want.

        -greg

        Greg Cohen CPM CPMM | Senior Principal Consultant | www.280group.com

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hulan <chris.hulan@...> wrote:

        > Fog Creek recently released a web based app similar to what you describe:
        > https://trello.com/
        >
        > From the site: Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects
        > into boards. In one glance, Trello tells you what's being worked on, who's
        > working on what, and where something is in a process.

      • John Levy
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
          You may also want to look at powernoodle.com

          --John
          -----
          John Levy, PhD
          415 663-1818

          Painless IT

          http://johnlevyconsulting.com
          My book on managing technologists:
          Get Out of the Way!
          http://bit.ly/9pX1wS

          On Oct 6, 2011, at 9:48 AM, extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > 1a. remote brainstorming sticky notes
          > Posted by: "Nancy Van Schooenderwoert" vanschoo@... nancyvanschooenderwoert
          > Date: Thu Oct 6, 2011 5:52 am ((PDT))
          >
          > I'm looking for a way to efficiently do remote brainstorming. First a
          > little background:
          >
          > We're doing ok using TFS (Microsoft Team Foundation Server) to keep a
          > team's virtual story board going. The team is co-located except for one
          > person who's remote. In future there may be a second remote person (not
          > at the same place as the first remote guy but both in same time zone).
          >
          > The problem is that during planning sessions and retrospectives, if we
          > were all together we'd just use sticky notes and quickly cluster them,
          > etc. BUT everything is drastically slowed down by the need to read all
          > the sticky-note content to the remote person. Even though they are on
          > skype and see things via webcam, it's still not that helpful for this
          > type of interaction.
          >
          > I'm sure this is a pretty common issue - have any of you found a
          > solution that you'd recommend?

          > Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.
          >
          > 781 301 1822 US mobile
          > nancyv@..., Twitter: @vanschoo
          >
          > http://www.leanagilepartners.com
          >
          > Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
          > and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide

        • Kay A Pentecost
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
            Hi, Everybody,

            Last Thursday, and the Thursday before, several of us at XPWDC (The DC Area
            XP group) met to learn/practice Test-Driven Design and Development and Pair
            Programming using Python and Django.

            We'll be meeting on Thursday nights at 7:00 PM at the Arlington Career
            Center to continue this practice.

            So if you want to learn Python, Django, Test-Driven Development and/or pair
            programming, or you just want to practice, join us!!!

            Hope to see you there!!!

            More info on http://www.paci.us/xpwdc/hands-on.html

            Kay Pentecost