remote brainstorming sticky notes

  • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
      I'm looking for a way to efficiently do remote brainstorming. First a
      little background:

      We're doing ok using TFS (Microsoft Team Foundation Server) to keep a
      team's virtual story board going. The team is co-located except for one
      person who's remote. In future there may be a second remote person (not
      at the same place as the first remote guy but both in same time zone).

      The problem is that during planning sessions and retrospectives, if we
      were all together we'd just use sticky notes and quickly cluster them,
      etc. BUT everything is drastically slowed down by the need to read all
      the sticky-note content to the remote person. Even though they are on
      skype and see things via webcam, it's still not that helpful for this
      type of interaction.

      I'm sure this is a pretty common issue - have any of you found a
      solution that you'd recommend?

      Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.

      781 301 1822 US mobile
      nancyv@..., Twitter: @vanschoo

      http://www.leanagilepartners.com

      Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
      and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide
    • Flavius Stef
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
        There are some ideas at
        http://blog.scrumphony.com/2011/09/a-checklist-for-a-distributed-retrospective/

        Flavius

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail on Android

      • james@renaissancesoftware.net
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
          Hi Nancy

          I've started using the virtual sticky notes at www.linoit.com

          I have not tried to use it in realtime. Let me know if it works for you.

          thanks, James

          James Grenning Author of TDD for Embedded C
          www.renaissancesoftware.net http://pragprog.com/titles/jgade/
          www.renaissancesoftware.net/blog
          www.twitter.com/jwgrenning
          On Oct 6, 2011, at 7:52 AM, Nancy Van Schooenderwoert wrote:

          > I'm looking for a way to efficiently do remote brainstorming. First a
          > little background:
          >
          > We're doing ok using TFS (Microsoft Team Foundation Server) to keep a
          > team's virtual story board going. The team is co-located except for one
          > person who's remote. In future there may be a second remote person (not
          > at the same place as the first remote guy but both in same time zone).
          >
          > The problem is that during planning sessions and retrospectives, if we
          > were all together we'd just use sticky notes and quickly cluster them,
          > etc. BUT everything is drastically slowed down by the need to read all
          > the sticky-note content to the remote person. Even though they are on
          > skype and see things via webcam, it's still not that helpful for this
          > type of interaction.
          >
          > I'm sure this is a pretty common issue - have any of you found a
          > solution that you'd recommend?

          > Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.
          >
          > 781 301 1822 US mobile
          > nancyv@..., Twitter: @vanschoo
          >
          > http://www.leanagilepartners.com
          >
          > Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
          > and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide

        • Chris Hulan
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
            Fog Creek recently released a web based app similar to what you describe:
            https://trello.com/

            From the site: Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects
            into boards. In one glance, Trello tells you what's being worked on, who's
            working on what, and where something is in a process.

          • Nancy Van Schooenderwoert
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
              Thanks Chris, Flavius, James for these suggestions. I will have a look.
              I'd like to ask a follow-up:

              The place is a Microsoft shop and so I wonder if the tools mentioned
              play well with TFS (I should say does TFS play well with *them*), or
              have they got any facility to send/receive content to/from TFS?

              I don't think it's too much of a factor now but I know the question will
              come up.

              - njv

              On 10/6/11 10:27 AM, Chris Hulan wrote:
              > Fog Creek recently released a web based app similar to what you describe:
              > https://trello.com/
              >
              >> From the site: Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects
              > into boards. In one glance, Trello tells you what's being worked on, who's
              > working on what, and where something is in a process.

              Nancy Van Schooenderwoert, Lean-Agile Partners Inc.

              781 301 1822 US mobile
              nancyv@..., Twitter: @vanschoo

              http://www.leanagilepartners.com

              Specialties: Agile coaching for Embedded Systems, for Data Migrations,
              and for leadership of Lean-Agile change organization wide
            • Kay A Pentecost
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
                I went to the site and got a message that my "browser is not supported."

                Personally I don't care if they don't know how to develop a website for
                multiple browsers... but it doesn't assure me about the quality of the
                software...

                <sarcasm>
                Of course I (your possible client, supposedly a skilled developer) am not
                smart enough or knowledgeable enough to chose the browser that *I* want to
                use (for whatever reason)... so obviously I'm not *smart* enough to buy or
                use your product! Bang! One lost sale there, and Bang! Bang! Lost
                referral(s), too!)
                </sarcasm>

                Always slap a potential client in the face before giving them info about the
                product!

                Kay Pentecost

              • gregc
                Message 7 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
                  I recently started experimenting with trello for personal project management.Although it was wasn't designed for remote brainstorming, I think Chris might be on to something. I could see it easily working for that. Nothing like unintended uses to expose new opportunities.

                  Other ideas include
                  1. mindjet just came out with Mindjet Connect for this purpose.
                  2. Innovation Games has online versions of their games and you can upload any template you want.

                  -greg

                  Greg Cohen CPM CPMM | Senior Principal Consultant | www.280group.com

                  --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Chris Hulan <chris.hulan@...> wrote:

                  > Fog Creek recently released a web based app similar to what you describe:
                  > https://trello.com/
                  >
                  > From the site: Trello is a collaboration tool that organizes your projects
                  > into boards. In one glance, Trello tells you what's being worked on, who's
                  > working on what, and where something is in a process.

                • John Levy
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 6, 2011
                    You may also want to look at powernoodle.com

                    --John
                    -----
                    John Levy, PhD
                    415 663-1818

                    Painless IT

                    http://johnlevyconsulting.com
                    My book on managing technologists:
                    Get Out of the Way!
                    http://bit.ly/9pX1wS

                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 10, 2011
                      Hi, Everybody,

                      Last Thursday, and the Thursday before, several of us at XPWDC (The DC Area
                      XP group) met to learn/practice Test-Driven Design and Development and Pair
                      Programming using Python and Django.

                      We'll be meeting on Thursday nights at 7:00 PM at the Arlington Career
                      Center to continue this practice.

                      So if you want to learn Python, Django, Test-Driven Development and/or pair
                      programming, or you just want to practice, join us!!!

                      Hope to see you there!!!

                      More info on http://www.paci.us/xpwdc/hands-on.html

                      Kay Pentecost