Re: [XP] Remote Pairing

  • Peter Bell
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 30, 2011
      On Sep 29, 2011, at 7:41 PM, Sean Corfield wrote:

      > I can tell you that we do (some) remote pairing where I work using a variety
      > of Macs and we simply use iChat with Gmail accounts. iChat lets you screen
      > share with audio which works pretty well for what we use. Doing video chat
      > on one monitor with screen sharing on another monitor would be more ideal
      > but that will draw down more bandwidth and produce much more lag...

      I do a few hours of remote pairing most weeks and have had pretty good success with Team Viewer (http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx). You can use the free version to check it out. Nothing is perfect, but the lag isn't too bad and we just use skype for audio (skype video increases the lag on the screen sharing too much for us).

      There are also tools like SubEthaEdit, although I'd much rather have a plugin for an IDE or editor that facilitated sharing rather than an editor/IDE that may or may not be good in other ways or that you'd use the rest of the time.

      Best Wishes,
      Peter

      > --
      > Sean A Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN
      > An Architect's View -- http://corfield.org/
      > World Singles, LLC. -- http://worldsingles.com/
      > Railo Technologies, Inc. -- http://www.getrailo.com/
      >
      > "Perfection is the enemy of the good."
      > -- Gustave Flaubert, French realist novelist (1821-1880)

    • Jeff Langr
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 4, 2011
        On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM, James Carr <james.r.carr@...> wrote:

        > Yeah, I forgot that skype doesn't let you share control. Doh!

        I believe it does with plugins, e.g. the Yuuguu plugin. Or at least it did a
        few years ago. However, I had some issues with the plugins that prevented it
        from being an effective solution.

        Larry--thanks for the info about NX, I will take a look.

        Jeff
        Langr Software Solutions
        http://langrsoft.com
        http://agileinaflash.com <http://agileinaflash.com--/> - Agile in a Flash:
        the most comprehensive agile reference & source of wisdom available!