Re: [XP] Remote Pairing

  • James Carr
    Message 1 of 39 , Sep 29, 2011
      +100 for skype. I can easily share my desktop on my linux laptop with a
      developer on a windows machine without any issue.

      On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 6:27 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

      > **
      >

      > What can't your sys admins figure out? Is this a tools question or a
      > networking question? ;-)
      >
      > I don't have much direct experience, but I've shared my screen via skype a
      > couple times on a mac. Not the ideal setup for pairing, but it worked in
      > the
      > context (I had used it for a demo recently and so I decided to try it out
      > for pairing. The lag is significant.)
      >
      > I think some folks do VNC. There are at least a few versions of VNC
      > including a built in one and various OSS or comercial offerings. There are
      > even some that work cross platform.
      >
      > Some of the ruby guys that I know who are huge Mac geeks use the combo of
      > some mac VNC with Skype for video and voice. If you've got good machines
      > and
      > steady bandwidth on both ends that should work nice. Intercontinental it's
      > probably going to suck a bit, but there's no way around /some/ lag in that
      > scenario.
      >
      > On Sep 29, 2011 3:31 PM, "gb70840" <glbrown@...> wrote:
      > > We are trying to get set up to do some inter-continental remote pairing
      > using iMacs for mobile app development. Our Windows sys-admins can't get it
      > to work. If you have experience with this and are willing to answer some
      > questions, please contact me off-list on my work email address garybrown at
      > carfax dot com.
      > >
      > > Thanks!!!
      > >
      > > GB.

    • Jeff Langr
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 4, 2011
        On Mon, Oct 3, 2011 at 8:15 PM, James Carr <james.r.carr@...> wrote:

        > Yeah, I forgot that skype doesn't let you share control. Doh!

        I believe it does with plugins, e.g. the Yuuguu plugin. Or at least it did a
        few years ago. However, I had some issues with the plugins that prevented it
        from being an effective solution.

        Larry--thanks for the info about NX, I will take a look.

        Jeff
        Langr Software Solutions
        http://langrsoft.com
        http://agileinaflash.com <http://agileinaflash.com--/> - Agile in a Flash:
        the most comprehensive agile reference & source of wisdom available!