Re: [XP] Re: Relevance of XP in Modern era

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 20, 2011
      Naming/branding, marketing and ease of adoption are big factors in growth
      rate.

      Of course, growth rate was never a primary objective of XP.

      SteveG

      On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > It has been a disappointment to me that Scrum has received widespread
      > 'mind-share'... while XP has tended to appeal to an insular community.
      >
      > It reminds a bit of the struggle professional orchestras currently endure.
      > If they remain technically excellent but fail to appeal to a cross-section
      > of the community funding sometimes becomes a problem.

    • Jonathan Harley
      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 21, 2011
        Understanding is a biggie too.

        I once had a "QA Manager" ask, "So, all I get from this Test-Driven stuff is
        better quality software?"

        I was stunned..

        On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 1:20 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Naming/branding, marketing and ease of adoption are big factors in growth
        > rate.
        >
        > Of course, growth rate was never a primary objective of XP.
        >
        > SteveG
        >
        > On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...
        > >wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > It has been a disappointment to me that Scrum has received widespread
        > > 'mind-share'... while XP has tended to appeal to an insular community.
        > >
        > > It reminds a bit of the struggle professional orchestras currently
        > endure.
        > > If they remain technically excellent but fail to appeal to a
        > cross-section
        > > of the community funding sometimes becomes a problem.

      • RonJeffries
        Message 3 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
          Hi Jonathan,

          On Aug 21, 2011, at 11:18 AM, Jonathan Harley wrote:

          > I once had a "QA Manager" ask, "So, all I get from this Test-Driven stuff is
          > better quality software?"
          >
          > I was stunned..

          Did you inquire what more they were hoping for?

          Yin and Yang I figure.
          -- Tom Jeffries

        • Jonathan Harley
          Message 4 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
            Hey Ron,

            I expect she was thinking along the lines of a choir of singing angels.. :-)

            On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 9:06 AM, RonJeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Hi Jonathan,
            >

            > On Aug 21, 2011, at 11:18 AM, Jonathan Harley wrote:
            >
            > > I once had a "QA Manager" ask, "So, all I get from this Test-Driven stuff
            > is
            > > better quality software?"
            > >
            > > I was stunned..
            >
            > Did you inquire what more they were hoping for?
            >
            > Ron Jeffries
            > www.XProgramming.com
            > I try to Zen through it and keep my voice very mellow and low.
            > Inside I am screaming and have a machine gun.
            > Yin and Yang I figure.
            > -- Tom Jeffries

          • JeffGrigg
            Message 5 of 28 , Aug 22, 2011
              --- Jonathan Harley <jdharley@...> wrote:
              > I expect she was thinking along the lines of a choir
              > of singing angels.. :-)

              Write it up on a story card.
              We can figure out how to sing...

              >;->
            • Tim Ottinger
              Message 6 of 28 , Aug 23, 2011
                >________________________________

                Tim Ottinger
                http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

              • D.André Dhondt
                Message 7 of 28 , Aug 26, 2011
                  On Sat, Aug 20, 2011 at 10:50 AM, MarvinToll.com <MarvinToll@...>wrote:

                  > **
                  >
                  > ...Scrum has received widespread 'mind-share'... while XP has tended to
                  > appeal to an insular community.

                  Hmmmm, it's not a competition--and it's not fair to call XP insular. Didn't
                  the xUnit frameworks sweep across the whole industry? Weren't the XP
                  founders on C2, the original wiki? The ideas from there, as well as the
                  technology, have spread even beyond the industry to the mainstream masses...
                  No, XP is not insular. That's why I stay on this list--our community is
                  always bringing in new ideas to share with one another.

                  --
                  D. André Dhondt
                  mobile: 215-805-0819

                  Support low-cost conferences -- http://AgileTour.org/

                • Kevin
                  Message 8 of 28 , Sep 30, 2011
                    I struggle to see how a software team can be agile without adopting XP disciplines too.

                    Kevin