Re: [XP] formal artifact to explain and document the business process?

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 14, 2011
      XP and Agile favor working software over documentation, so I'll ask, what is
      your client lacking from the current process? If you are delivering tested
      working software every iteration, does the client really need a document
      that says that as well?

      Now, if you need to "document your processes" for something like ISO9000
      certification, I'd look into what templates and documents are required for
      that. If the client is just asking for more formal documentation, that tells
      me she has a concern about the process. You can try the 5 why's. Ask her why
      she wants more formal documentation, then ask why four more times or until
      you get to the root of her issue.

      --
      Curtis Cooley
      curtis.cooley@...
    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 14, 2011
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 15, 2011
          If they suffer from a need for artifacts, then by all means, stop by a trophy shop and get them one:
          http://www.news.cornell.edu/chronicle/98/12.10.98/trophy.GIF

          If more formality is needed, I'm sure we could adjust the wardrobe:
          http://www.halloweenplayground.com/images/cc/zoot-suit-costume-gold.jpg

          If they need to better understand their business processes, I'm sure that I could find a good business consultant to come in and advise them on the topic.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_and_motion_study

          If their main problem is a vague sense of unease, I'm sure one could find a good counselor, who can help them feel better.
          http://img.webmd.com/dtmcms/live/webmd/consumer_assets/site_images/articles/health_tools/ADHD_adults_slideshow/photolibrary_rf_photo_of_man_with_in_therapy_session.jpg

          Now if they have an actual business problem that they want to solve, I'm sure we could work with them to find some kind of solution. Maybe what they need is more management PowerPoint presentations to help them think about and visualize how they wish to run their business.