Re: [XP] Pairing opposite each other

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
      On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Everybody,
      >
      > I also posted this to the TDD group.
      >
      > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
      > and
      > sit opposite each other?

      Kay,

      I first saw this setup in 1980 at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. Two
      Computer
      Scientists sat opposite each other with two very large box CRTs between
      them.
      They'd arranged to split the screen, so that their code was on each, and
      would
      take turns watching and critiquing each other. IIRC, they were working one
      of the
      old (and very big) CDC mainframes in Pascal or something Pascal-like, and
      had adopted a "procedures must fit on one screen" rule.

      I heard of someone doing something similar with Suns in the mid-80's, but
      haven't seen that arrangement again until very recently.

      Dave

      > Thanks,
      >
      > Kay Pentecost

    • Kay A Pentecost
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
        Hey, Dave,

        Thanks for the info about Lawrence Livermore National Lab -- Everything old
        is new again!

        Kay Pentecost

      • Tim Ottinger
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
          We just tried it. It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
          to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
          It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
          Tim Ottinger
          http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
          http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

          > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
          >and
          > sit opposite each other?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Kay Pentecost

        • John Goodsen
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
            when I get to pair locally with somebody these days and we can get the
            extra display and input, I prefer the setup that Ron and Chet use -
            slightyly angled, so you can see each other but have your own
            keyboard/mouse. It takes discipline to stay engaged and not start
            getting sidetracked with my own machiner - but those of you who know
            me will understand that! :)

            jg

            On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:
            > We just tried it.  It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
            > to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
            > It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
            >  Tim Ottinger
            > http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
            > http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

            John Goodsen                 RADSoft / Better Software Faster
            jgoodsen@...            Lean/Kanban/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
            http://www.radsoft.com          Enterprise Ruby, Java and Scala Solutions
          • Kay A Pentecost
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
              Hey, John,

              I'm sure that two screens are better than one... and I'm getting the feeling
              that f2f will be better than side by side... I may be able to experiment
              soon.

              Kay Pentecost

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
                Hi, Tim,

                I'm curious how long you tried it?

                Thanks,

                Kay Pentecost

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 20, 2011
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 28, 2011
                    Applications are invited for a new professorship in Software Engineering
                    at DTU Informatics (Department of Informatics and Mathematical
                    Modelling) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). The professor
                    will be affiliated with the Software Engineering Section, and will be in
                    charge of further development of the section. The professor is also
                    expected to create strong interactions with other Sections at DTU
                    Informatics, thus actively taking part in the definition, development
                    and promotion of the future IT profile of DTU Informatics.

                    The Software Engineering Section has 8 faculty members and 3 consultants
                    doing software development for the public sector and industry. This
                    provides a unique setting for combining theoretical and applied research.

                    Research in the Software Engineering Section covers model-based software
                    development, formal modeling and verification, requirements engineering,
                    and software development processes. This gives a unique setting for
                    combining theoretical and applied research. The research is related to
                    application domains currently covering transport, energy and the
                    environment.

                    The combination of two technological trends: rapid component
                    miniaturization and the emergence of high-speed wireless communications
                    have changed the computing platform from stand alone- and Web
                    applications in fixed network structures, to highly dynamic networks
                    where programs may move among nodes, and may evolve and change
                    structure. This change of computing platform creates challenges and
                    opportunities for Software Engineering, covering everything from the
                    theoretical foundation to practical implementation.

                    A preferred candidate should be able to address these challenges based
                    on the competences of the Software Engineering Section and in close
                    interaction with other sections at DTU Informatics. The candidate should
                    demonstrate the ability to combine theoretical knowledge with practical
                    development within one of the following (or closely related) areas:

                    * Software Engineering for mobile and distributed computing (form
                    Internet-of-Things, over adaptive systems, to user interaction)
                    * Software Engineering for high performance computing (from massive
                    parallel super computers, over GPUs, to multi-core processors)

                    For the official announcement please consult

                    http://www.dtu.dk/English/About_DTU/vacancies.aspx?guid=76841fd5-b317-4307-9e28-fa912c5e246d

                    Further information may be obtained from Head of Department, Professor
                    Helle Rootzén, tel.: +45 4525 3370.

                    You can read more about DTU Informatics on www.imm.dtu.dk

                    --
                    Hubert Baumeister