Re: [XP] Pairing opposite each other

  • John Stoneham
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
      Brian Marick and Corey Haines were toying with the idea a couple of years
      ago (cf. http://www.exampler.com/blog/2008/12/10/screen-pairing/). Seemed
      useful to them, but I've never tried it.

      --
      John Stoneham
      lyric@...

    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
        On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

        > Hi, Everybody,
        >
        > I also posted this to the TDD group.
        >
        > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
        > and
        > sit opposite each other?

        Kay,

        I first saw this setup in 1980 at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. Two
        Computer
        Scientists sat opposite each other with two very large box CRTs between
        them.
        They'd arranged to split the screen, so that their code was on each, and
        would
        take turns watching and critiquing each other. IIRC, they were working one
        of the
        old (and very big) CDC mainframes in Pascal or something Pascal-like, and
        had adopted a "procedures must fit on one screen" rule.

        I heard of someone doing something similar with Suns in the mid-80's, but
        haven't seen that arrangement again until very recently.

        Dave

        > Thanks,
        >
        > Kay Pentecost

      • Kay A Pentecost
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
          Hey, Dave,

          Thanks for the info about Lawrence Livermore National Lab -- Everything old
          is new again!

          Kay Pentecost

        • Tim Ottinger
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
            We just tried it. It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
            to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
            It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
            Tim Ottinger
            http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
            http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

            > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
            >and
            > sit opposite each other?
            >
            > Thanks,
            >
            > Kay Pentecost

          • John Goodsen
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
              when I get to pair locally with somebody these days and we can get the
              extra display and input, I prefer the setup that Ron and Chet use -
              slightyly angled, so you can see each other but have your own
              keyboard/mouse. It takes discipline to stay engaged and not start
              getting sidetracked with my own machiner - but those of you who know
              me will understand that! :)

              jg

              On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:
              > We just tried it.  It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
              > to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
              > It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
              >  Tim Ottinger
              > http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
              > http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

              John Goodsen                 RADSoft / Better Software Faster
              jgoodsen@...            Lean/Kanban/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
              http://www.radsoft.com          Enterprise Ruby, Java and Scala Solutions
            • Kay A Pentecost
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
                Hey, John,

                I'm sure that two screens are better than one... and I'm getting the feeling
                that f2f will be better than side by side... I may be able to experiment
                soon.

                Kay Pentecost

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
                  Hi, Tim,

                  I'm curious how long you tried it?

                  Thanks,

                  Kay Pentecost

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 20, 2011
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 28, 2011
                      Applications are invited for a new professorship in Software Engineering
                      at DTU Informatics (Department of Informatics and Mathematical
                      Modelling) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). The professor
                      will be affiliated with the Software Engineering Section, and will be in
                      charge of further development of the section. The professor is also
                      expected to create strong interactions with other Sections at DTU
                      Informatics, thus actively taking part in the definition, development
                      and promotion of the future IT profile of DTU Informatics.

                      The Software Engineering Section has 8 faculty members and 3 consultants
                      doing software development for the public sector and industry. This
                      provides a unique setting for combining theoretical and applied research.

                      Research in the Software Engineering Section covers model-based software
                      development, formal modeling and verification, requirements engineering,
                      and software development processes. This gives a unique setting for
                      combining theoretical and applied research. The research is related to
                      application domains currently covering transport, energy and the
                      environment.

                      The combination of two technological trends: rapid component
                      miniaturization and the emergence of high-speed wireless communications
                      have changed the computing platform from stand alone- and Web
                      applications in fixed network structures, to highly dynamic networks
                      where programs may move among nodes, and may evolve and change
                      structure. This change of computing platform creates challenges and
                      opportunities for Software Engineering, covering everything from the
                      theoretical foundation to practical implementation.

                      A preferred candidate should be able to address these challenges based
                      on the competences of the Software Engineering Section and in close
                      interaction with other sections at DTU Informatics. The candidate should
                      demonstrate the ability to combine theoretical knowledge with practical
                      development within one of the following (or closely related) areas:

                      * Software Engineering for mobile and distributed computing (form
                      Internet-of-Things, over adaptive systems, to user interaction)
                      * Software Engineering for high performance computing (from massive
                      parallel super computers, over GPUs, to multi-core processors)

                      For the official announcement please consult

                      http://www.dtu.dk/English/About_DTU/vacancies.aspx?guid=76841fd5-b317-4307-9e28-fa912c5e246d

                      Further information may be obtained from Head of Department, Professor
                      Helle Rootzén, tel.: +45 4525 3370.

                      You can read more about DTU Informatics on www.imm.dtu.dk

                      --
                      Hubert Baumeister