Re: [XP] Re: Pairing opposite each other

    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
      Hello, Kay. On Monday, June 13, 2011, at 4:19:03 PM, you wrote:

      > That looks like it would work. I was visioning the two monitors
      > being directly across, which would seem to be intrusive. This looks like a good way to go.

      Yes, that's what we do. I think they stole the idea from us. :)

      Knowledge must come through action;
      you can have no test which is not fanciful,
      save by trial. -- Sophocles
    • JeffGrigg
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
        Interesting. I wonder if reversing it so that you look at each other over the (right handed) mice would make it easier to pick up mousing cueues with peripheral vision.

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, BJ Clark <bjclark@...> wrote:
        > I have used the exact setup described here with good results:
        > http://pivotallabs.com/users/jsusser/blog/articles/1505-pairing-tete-a-tete
      • Kay
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
          Hey Ron!

          --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

          > Hello, Kay. On Monday, June 13, 2011, at 3:25:15 PM, you wrote:
          >
          > > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse and
          > > sit opposite each other?
          >
          > That's how Chet and I work all the time ... offset, not directly
          > opposite:

          > ------
          > ------
          >
          > This lets us easily converse but also not have to stare each other
          > in the eyes every time we look up.

          Well, I can't understand why not... you're both beautiful. <grin>

          Thanks, Ron
        • John Stoneham
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
            Brian Marick and Corey Haines were toying with the idea a couple of years
            ago (cf. http://www.exampler.com/blog/2008/12/10/screen-pairing/). Seemed
            useful to them, but I've never tried it.

            --
            John Stoneham
            lyric@...

          • Dave Smith
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
              On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

              > Hi, Everybody,
              >
              > I also posted this to the TDD group.
              >
              > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
              > and
              > sit opposite each other?

              Kay,

              I first saw this setup in 1980 at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. Two
              Computer
              Scientists sat opposite each other with two very large box CRTs between
              them.
              They'd arranged to split the screen, so that their code was on each, and
              would
              take turns watching and critiquing each other. IIRC, they were working one
              of the
              old (and very big) CDC mainframes in Pascal or something Pascal-like, and
              had adopted a "procedures must fit on one screen" rule.

              I heard of someone doing something similar with Suns in the mid-80's, but
              haven't seen that arrangement again until very recently.

              Dave

              > Thanks,
              >
              > Kay Pentecost

            • Kay A Pentecost
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
                Hey, Dave,

                Thanks for the info about Lawrence Livermore National Lab -- Everything old
                is new again!

                Kay Pentecost

              • Tim Ottinger
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
                  We just tried it. It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
                  to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
                  It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
                  Tim Ottinger
                  http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                  http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

                  > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
                  >and
                  > sit opposite each other?
                  >
                  > Thanks,
                  >
                  > Kay Pentecost

                • John Goodsen
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
                    when I get to pair locally with somebody these days and we can get the
                    extra display and input, I prefer the setup that Ron and Chet use -
                    slightyly angled, so you can see each other but have your own
                    keyboard/mouse. It takes discipline to stay engaged and not start
                    getting sidetracked with my own machiner - but those of you who know
                    me will understand that! :)

                    jg

                    On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:
                    > We just tried it.  It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
                    > to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
                    > It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
                    >  Tim Ottinger
                    > http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                    > http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

                    John Goodsen                 RADSoft / Better Software Faster
                    jgoodsen@...            Lean/Kanban/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
                    http://www.radsoft.com          Enterprise Ruby, Java and Scala Solutions
                  • Kay A Pentecost
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
                      Hey, John,

                      I'm sure that two screens are better than one... and I'm getting the feeling
                      that f2f will be better than side by side... I may be able to experiment
                      soon.

                      Kay Pentecost

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
                        Hi, Tim,

                        I'm curious how long you tried it?

                        Thanks,

                        Kay Pentecost

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 20, 2011
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 28, 2011
                            Applications are invited for a new professorship in Software Engineering
                            at DTU Informatics (Department of Informatics and Mathematical
                            Modelling) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). The professor
                            will be affiliated with the Software Engineering Section, and will be in
                            charge of further development of the section. The professor is also
                            expected to create strong interactions with other Sections at DTU
                            Informatics, thus actively taking part in the definition, development
                            and promotion of the future IT profile of DTU Informatics.

                            The Software Engineering Section has 8 faculty members and 3 consultants
                            doing software development for the public sector and industry. This
                            provides a unique setting for combining theoretical and applied research.

                            Research in the Software Engineering Section covers model-based software
                            development, formal modeling and verification, requirements engineering,
                            and software development processes. This gives a unique setting for
                            combining theoretical and applied research. The research is related to
                            application domains currently covering transport, energy and the
                            environment.

                            The combination of two technological trends: rapid component
                            miniaturization and the emergence of high-speed wireless communications
                            have changed the computing platform from stand alone- and Web
                            applications in fixed network structures, to highly dynamic networks
                            where programs may move among nodes, and may evolve and change
                            structure. This change of computing platform creates challenges and
                            opportunities for Software Engineering, covering everything from the
                            theoretical foundation to practical implementation.

                            A preferred candidate should be able to address these challenges based
                            on the competences of the Software Engineering Section and in close
                            interaction with other sections at DTU Informatics. The candidate should
                            demonstrate the ability to combine theoretical knowledge with practical
                            development within one of the following (or closely related) areas:

                            * Software Engineering for mobile and distributed computing (form
                            Internet-of-Things, over adaptive systems, to user interaction)
                            * Software Engineering for high performance computing (from massive
                            parallel super computers, over GPUs, to multi-core processors)

                            For the official announcement please consult

                            http://www.dtu.dk/English/About_DTU/vacancies.aspx?guid=76841fd5-b317-4307-9e28-fa912c5e246d

                            Further information may be obtained from Head of Department, Professor
                            Helle Rootzén, tel.: +45 4525 3370.

                            You can read more about DTU Informatics on www.imm.dtu.dk

                            --
                            Hubert Baumeister