Re: Pairing opposite each other

  • BJ Clark
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
      I have used the exact setup described here with good results:
      http://pivotallabs.com/users/jsusser/blog/articles/1505-pairing-tete-a-tete

      --
      BJ Clark

    • Kay
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
        Hey, BJ,

        That looks like it would work. I was visioning the two monitors being directly across, which would seem to be intrusive. This looks like a good way to go.

        Thanks!
        Kay

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
          Hello, Kay. On Monday, June 13, 2011, at 3:25:15 PM, you wrote:

          > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse and
          > sit opposite each other?

          That's how Chet and I work all the time ... offset, not directly
          opposite:

          ------
          ------

          This lets us easily converse but also not have to stare each other
          in the eyes every time we look up.

          [S]oftware engineering ... "How to program if you cannot." -- Edsger Dijkstra
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
            Hello, Kay. On Monday, June 13, 2011, at 4:19:03 PM, you wrote:

            > That looks like it would work. I was visioning the two monitors
            > being directly across, which would seem to be intrusive. This looks like a good way to go.

            Yes, that's what we do. I think they stole the idea from us. :)

            Knowledge must come through action;
            you can have no test which is not fanciful,
            save by trial. -- Sophocles
          • JeffGrigg
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
              Interesting. I wonder if reversing it so that you look at each other over the (right handed) mice would make it easier to pick up mousing cueues with peripheral vision.

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
                Hey Ron!

                --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Ron Jeffries <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

                > Hello, Kay. On Monday, June 13, 2011, at 3:25:15 PM, you wrote:
                >
                > > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse and
                > > sit opposite each other?
                >
                > That's how Chet and I work all the time ... offset, not directly
                > opposite:

                > ------
                > ------
                >
                > This lets us easily converse but also not have to stare each other
                > in the eyes every time we look up.

                Well, I can't understand why not... you're both beautiful. <grin>

                Thanks, Ron
              • John Stoneham
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
                  Brian Marick and Corey Haines were toying with the idea a couple of years
                  ago (cf. http://www.exampler.com/blog/2008/12/10/screen-pairing/). Seemed
                  useful to them, but I've never tried it.

                  --
                  John Stoneham
                  lyric@...

                • Dave Smith
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
                    On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 12:25 PM, Kay <tranzpupy@...> wrote:

                    > Hi, Everybody,
                    >
                    > I also posted this to the TDD group.
                    >
                    > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
                    > and
                    > sit opposite each other?

                    Kay,

                    I first saw this setup in 1980 at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. Two
                    Computer
                    Scientists sat opposite each other with two very large box CRTs between
                    them.
                    They'd arranged to split the screen, so that their code was on each, and
                    would
                    take turns watching and critiquing each other. IIRC, they were working one
                    of the
                    old (and very big) CDC mainframes in Pascal or something Pascal-like, and
                    had adopted a "procedures must fit on one screen" rule.

                    I heard of someone doing something similar with Suns in the mid-80's, but
                    haven't seen that arrangement again until very recently.

                    Dave

                    > Thanks,
                    >
                    > Kay Pentecost

                  • Kay A Pentecost
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 13, 2011
                      Hey, Dave,

                      Thanks for the info about Lawrence Livermore National Lab -- Everything old
                      is new again!

                      Kay Pentecost

                    • Tim Ottinger
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
                        We just tried it. It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
                        to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
                        It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
                        Tim Ottinger
                        http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                        http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

                        > Anybody have any experience pairing where each has a monitor/keyboard/mouse
                        >and
                        > sit opposite each other?
                        >
                        > Thanks,
                        >
                        > Kay Pentecost

                      • John Goodsen
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 14, 2011
                          when I get to pair locally with somebody these days and we can get the
                          extra display and input, I prefer the setup that Ron and Chet use -
                          slightyly angled, so you can see each other but have your own
                          keyboard/mouse. It takes discipline to stay engaged and not start
                          getting sidetracked with my own machiner - but those of you who know
                          me will understand that! :)

                          jg

                          On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 4:49 PM, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:
                          > We just tried it.  It didn't stink, but it turns out that we feel less connected
                          > to each other that way, and have to point with mouse instead of hands.
                          > It works, but it is more like the remote pairing experience.
                          >  Tim Ottinger
                          > http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                          > http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

                          John Goodsen                 RADSoft / Better Software Faster
                          jgoodsen@...            Lean/Kanban/XP/Scrum Coaching and Training
                          http://www.radsoft.com          Enterprise Ruby, Java and Scala Solutions
                        • Kay A Pentecost
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
                            Hey, John,

                            I'm sure that two screens are better than one... and I'm getting the feeling
                            that f2f will be better than side by side... I may be able to experiment
                            soon.

                            Kay Pentecost

                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 15, 2011
                              Hi, Tim,

                              I'm curious how long you tried it?

                              Thanks,

                              Kay Pentecost

                              Message 14 of 16 , Jun 20, 2011
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jun 28, 2011
                                  Applications are invited for a new professorship in Software Engineering
                                  at DTU Informatics (Department of Informatics and Mathematical
                                  Modelling) at the Technical University of Denmark (DTU). The professor
                                  will be affiliated with the Software Engineering Section, and will be in
                                  charge of further development of the section. The professor is also
                                  expected to create strong interactions with other Sections at DTU
                                  Informatics, thus actively taking part in the definition, development
                                  and promotion of the future IT profile of DTU Informatics.

                                  The Software Engineering Section has 8 faculty members and 3 consultants
                                  doing software development for the public sector and industry. This
                                  provides a unique setting for combining theoretical and applied research.

                                  Research in the Software Engineering Section covers model-based software
                                  development, formal modeling and verification, requirements engineering,
                                  and software development processes. This gives a unique setting for
                                  combining theoretical and applied research. The research is related to
                                  application domains currently covering transport, energy and the
                                  environment.

                                  The combination of two technological trends: rapid component
                                  miniaturization and the emergence of high-speed wireless communications
                                  have changed the computing platform from stand alone- and Web
                                  applications in fixed network structures, to highly dynamic networks
                                  where programs may move among nodes, and may evolve and change
                                  structure. This change of computing platform creates challenges and
                                  opportunities for Software Engineering, covering everything from the
                                  theoretical foundation to practical implementation.

                                  A preferred candidate should be able to address these challenges based
                                  on the competences of the Software Engineering Section and in close
                                  interaction with other sections at DTU Informatics. The candidate should
                                  demonstrate the ability to combine theoretical knowledge with practical
                                  development within one of the following (or closely related) areas:

                                  * Software Engineering for mobile and distributed computing (form
                                  Internet-of-Things, over adaptive systems, to user interaction)
                                  * Software Engineering for high performance computing (from massive
                                  parallel super computers, over GPUs, to multi-core processors)

                                  For the official announcement please consult

                                  http://www.dtu.dk/English/About_DTU/vacancies.aspx?guid=76841fd5-b317-4307-9e28-fa912c5e246d

                                  Further information may be obtained from Head of Department, Professor
                                  Helle Rootzén, tel.: +45 4525 3370.

                                  You can read more about DTU Informatics on www.imm.dtu.dk

                                  --
                                  Hubert Baumeister