Re: [XP] Documentation for code. Do we need Colective ownership because it is imposible to document code to an understandable state for anyone...

  • Chet Hendrickson
    Message 1 of 4 , May 30, 2011
      Hello Gustavo,

      That is an interesting question. Collective ownership does increase the team's overall knowledge of the code. However, not anywhere near as much as pair programming.

      The team should agree on the appropriate level of documentation and the practices necessary to maintain it at that level. They should also monitor the effort it requires.

      From the pure XP point of view, any code that needs inline comments to be understood is not done. Our goal is to make all our design ideas explicit in the code.

      Returning to collective code ownership. Its job is to reduce queues and wait states. You have certainly hit the nail on the head that collective code ownership can only be effectively implemented what the code is sufficiently understandable that any team member can safely modify it.

      chet

      Monday, May 30, 2011, 7:53:24 AM, you wrote:

      .... to pick up the code in a short time?

      Hello,

      I am just thinking how much documentation is needed for code in these two
      scenarios:

      -colective ownership of code
      -No colective ownership.

      Do you get my idea? In a scenario where just a programmer is working on a
      project, how much documentation is needed in case
      that programmer is going to leave in a few months?

      And, if we have a team with colective ownership, it is necessary to document
      the code?

      Any articles on this? Thanks.

      Gustavo.

      Best regards,