Re: [XP] Declarative Logging (PED)

  • JeffGrigg
    Message 1 of 9 , May 24, 2011

      --- "JeffGrigg" <jeffreytoddgrigg@...> wrote:
      > I see the above as evidence that you have good and useful
      > corporate standards and norms, and that you're doing an
      > effective job of responding to feedback and improving the
      > usefulness of the libraries over time.
      >
      > But...

      When I try to imagine how this could help with TDD, I run into some problems:

      First, a well-done library to be used by others should have effective documentation (probably including examples). It should be easy to figure out how to correctly use the library without having to run tests through it to find out how it really works. If a person has a problem using your library, and you can tell them how to correct their usage so that it works, but you can NOT point to published documentation or examples that show (the essence of) your correction, then your library is inadequately documented for 3rd party use.

      Second, if logging the parameters enables an expert to tell a beginner that the mysterious failure of the framework as caused by passing in an invalid set of parameter values, then I have to ask why the framework code did not throw an exception with a useful error message telling what combination of parameters is invalid.

      If the frameworks are failing in "mysterious" (to the new users) ways, given usage informed by documentation and examples, then I would suspect design problems in the frameworks, rather than a need for more logging and debugging tools.