Release Planning when team composition might vary

  • Ajithesh Hegde
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2011
      Hi,

      Wish to know how you do Release Planning if the team composition is to vary
      in different iterations.

      Just to elaborate my question:
      1. Release Planning is done based on the story point estimates (for the user
      stories) and the team velocity expressed in story points.
      2. Many-a-times the team would start with some number and slowly grows in
      size over iterations. The team starts getting ramped down towards the last
      set of iterations.
      3. Release Planning might be relatively straightforward when the same team
      size/composition remains all through ansd hence a constant team velocity
      could be assumed. However, if this size parameter is varying as described
      above, how to do Iteration/Release Planning?

      Rgds
      Ajithesh

    • D.AndrĂ© Dhondt
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2011
        On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 10:36 AM, Ajithesh Hegde <ajithesh.gh@...>wrote:

        > Just to elaborate my question:
        > 1. Release Planning is done based on the story point estimates (for the
        > user
        > stories) and the team velocity expressed in story points.

        Normally we only estimate one week's worth of story cards--so the release
        plan has un-estimated epics to remind us to talk about that subject later.

        --
        D. André Dhondt
        mobile: 215-805-0819

        Support low-cost conferences -- http://AgileTour.org/

      • Joshua Kerievsky
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 2011
          On Tue, May 10, 2011 at 7:36 AM, Ajithesh Hegde <ajithesh.gh@...>wrote:

          > Wish to know how you do Release Planning if the team composition is to
          > vary
          > in different iterations.

          Consider making a Release Plan filled with critical features (i.e. remove
          all nice-to-have functionality), represented as user story cards. Roughly
          estimate each release story card (you can use estimates of weeks -- 1 week,
          2 weeks, etc) given the team you have today. Re-estimate each release story
          card every iteration (I call this iterative release planning) and do some
          rough accounting to see that the time remaining will fit the estimated work.
          If there is too much work, defer stuff or find ways to do expensive work in
          a less-expensive, faster way (e.g. by providing 80% of the functionality).
          Keep exploring what functionality can be removed and what functionality is
          essential to producing a minimum viable product. Report the evolving
          release plan to management, highlighting possible risks and how they are
          being managed.

          --
          best,
          jk

          --
          Joshua Kerievsky
          Founder, CEO

          Amplify Your Agility
          Coaching | Training | Assessment | eLearning